FORUMS: list search recent posts

Seeking advice on buying a budget camera for filming

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Woodman
Seeking advice on buying a budget camera for filming
on Apr 5, 2016 at 12:26:38 am

Please can someone help me with some advice: I wish to begin making my own films. I am on a seriously restricted budget, with a capital S.

I will need to shoot travel films, so a lot of my shooting will be done in situations in which I will be shooting on the go. I would also like to be able to take good quality photos, but my main priority is filming. One thing that is important to me is to be able to zoom in on things. I would also like something to which I can connect an external mic.

I have already bought a Velbon Videomate 538 tripod for those moments when I am able to stop to take a proper shot, so that's the tripod sorted. I have a 32gb sd/micro sd card. I have a macbook pro with FCP X.

Lets take into account that I have £300 to spend on a camera, I may be able to go a bit over that but only if it was really worth it.

So now you have some info on my needs, I would like your advice. What is my best bet? On one side from my own investigations I can see that due to having to shoot on the move, a camcorder has the advantage of image stabilisation and comfort of use. But I am also aware that it is not good for stills, which are of some degree of importance to me and if I understand right camcorders give a flatter image for filming. I have been told that DSLRs or SDLR-like cameras (such as the Sony ones) are better for image quality, but want to know your advice regarding this in view of the on-the-go nature of some of the filming I will be doing.

I have heard that Sonys are very good for their price, and have looked into the Handycam HDR CX450. I have also checked out the cameras but there are so many options that it is a bit confusing.

I would be very grateful for any advice you can offer me.

By the way I live in the UK so would be buying the camera here.

P.S. Was not sure wether to post on this forum or the one called cinematography

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Seeking advice on buying a budget camera for filming
on Apr 5, 2016 at 5:49:33 pm

I would seriously consider looking into iphone cinematography - feature films like Tangerine are now being shot with them. Check out my Flipboard magazine (free) on the subject called Mobile Journalism & Filmmaking.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Seeking advice on buying a budget camera for filming
on Apr 9, 2016 at 4:03:48 pm

Heres an article you might like on budget 4k options

http://www.thevideomode.com/equipment/best-4k-video-cameras-500-2348/

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]