FORUMS: list search recent posts

Steadicam/glidecam reco's

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chandler Kauffman
Steadicam/glidecam reco's
on Apr 25, 2010 at 9:30:51 pm

Hey all, looking for recommendations for a stabilizer system for my 5D, it would be great if it could handle my Sony EX1 as well.
Also curious how people have gotten around having a proper remote focus system, especially with the 5D's DOF, or lack thereof.
Thanks

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: Steadicam/glidecam reco's
on Apr 25, 2010 at 10:59:52 pm

Not really, but, use Image Stablized Canon lenses which are pretty effective without using a Steady cam.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
on Apr 26, 2010 at 12:56:57 pm

I recently was able to get my hands on a Glidecam Pro 2000 to play around with and to get it working properly for a friend of mine. I believe he lent me a Panasonic AG-DVX100B to play around with, and I imagine a Sony EX1 would be about the same weight, so it should work.

The current model Glidecam has out now that would be comparable to the Pro 2000 would be most likely the Glidecam HD-2000. The 5D could be too light for it, but I would imagine some extra added weight to the top along with the camera, along with properly added weight to the bottom, and you should be alright.

The Glidecam I was test driving had the vest and a Glidecam smooth shooter also. If you're planning on doing long shoots, I would definitely recommend getting a vest and arm. 5 minutes of straight shooting without it will result in a very worn out arm, and shaky shots.

Hope this helps :)
Ryan

Return to posts index

Chandler Kauffman
on Apr 26, 2010 at 3:48:48 pm

Thanks Ryan, what did you do for focusing? If you were using a follow focus, were you able to pull without unsettling the rig too much?

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
on Apr 26, 2010 at 4:19:05 pm

My friend did not have a solution to focusing.

I can think of only two possible solutions.

1) Manually adjust the iris so that it is as closed as possible. Areas with large amount of light will let you do this. Also, Take off any ND filters, bring down the shutter as much as possible, adjust the ISO/Gain to it's highest as you care to adjust it to, and add lights. By closing the iris, you widen your DOF. Most of your foreground, subject, and background will be in focus. Now you don't have to be so focus aware.

2) The above solution only works so well, and since you're speaking about a Canon 5D, I'm assuming you really want that thin, sexy DOF in the first place. The next practical solution would be a remote focus assembly of some sorts. About the hottest remote focus that I have seen would be the Redrock microRemote...and it's not even out yet. Something like this would work phenomenally.

However, I don't know how you are going to run a Glidecam and a focus puller at the same time. Maybe it's just cuz I don't have the skill/experience, but I would imagine that this will be near impossible, especially with your reference monitor all the way down by your knees.

Ryan

Return to posts index

Travis Simpson
on Apr 26, 2010 at 7:00:17 pm

Emilio Cagadoc from Cheesycam.com has a DIY hack that combines the Steadicam Merlin with the Glidecam 4000. You can see a video here:

You would absolutely have to use a remote follow focus on this rig. Pulling focus manually defeats the stabilization. Redrock has a new remote follow focus coming to market:

http://www.digi1080p.com/hd-dslr-gear/follow-focus/231-redrock-micro-micror...

Travis Simpson | Symbolscape Media | mobile: 510.858.1101 | office: 510.868.0540 | travis@symbolscape.com |

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Blackbird Stabilizer
on Apr 27, 2010 at 2:07:22 am

I got the Blackbird Stabilizer. I don't like loading up a lot of crap on my camera, so it was a decent choice for me. Focusing isn't the easiest feat - but lots of folks recommend sticking with wider angle lenses with a higher f-stop which eliminates much of the need.

If you're running wildly after your target, it's not going to be easy to focus. If you're walking, focusing isn't terribly difficult.

I haven't actually used it for a spot yet, but I did shoot this the day after I got it. Test out as many rigs as you can.

Cheers,
~j~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]