FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K Video workflow for HDV Output?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dudley Saunders
4K Video workflow for HDV Output?
on Feb 28, 2016 at 9:19:46 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this -- and I welcome recommendations -- but here's what we're looking at:

Because we ultimately output to HDV, producers figured they could shoot 4K and get a second, blown-up shot out of one piece of media with no loss of resolution (in this case a medium close up and a forehead-to-chin close up). Sounds reasonable, but they didn't figure out the workflow in advance. They ultimately got a kid to output two versions from Premiere, so we ended up with two pieces of media, but it took forever.

Is anyone else out there doing this? Does anyone have a better workflow?

Dudley Saunders
Editor-Producer

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: 4K Video workflow for HDV Output?
on Mar 1, 2016 at 8:50:41 pm
Last Edited By Jason Jenkins on Mar 1, 2016 at 8:51:26 pm

[Dudley Saunders] "Because we ultimately output to HDV, producers figured they could shoot 4K and get a second, blown-up shot out of one piece of media with no loss of resolution (in this case a medium close up and a forehead-to-chin close up). Sounds reasonable, but they didn't figure out the workflow in advance. They ultimately got a kid to output two versions from Premiere, so we ended up with two pieces of media, but it took forever.

Is anyone else out there doing this? Does anyone have a better workflow?"

Hi, Dudley:

I'm guessing you mean that you are editing an HD 1920x1080 project, not actually mastering to the HDV codec. I shoot in 4K and edit in a 1080 timeline quite often. In a nutshell, I just edit my 4K material scaled to fit the 1080 frame, then when the edits are done, I go back and scale up the clips I want to "punch in" on. This happens right in the timeline––no need to render out an extra piece of media. I edit on FCPX, but it should be a very similar process in Premiere Pro as well. You do need a system that can handle the 4K though!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]