FORUMS: list search recent posts

advice shooting w/Nikon D5300 (best settings - video)

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane mclaughlin
advice shooting w/Nikon D5300 (best settings - video)
on Feb 17, 2016 at 7:04:47 am

Hi
Shooting this Saturday with a Nikon D5300, which I have never used before (or any DSLR). Does anyone have experience w/this camera and can offer suggestions to best menu settings? (I would like to shoot flat...)
I've googled around and found lots of opinions on photography, but not so much on video.
thanks

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: advice shooting w/Nikon D5300 (best settings - video)
on Feb 18, 2016 at 10:54:06 am

http://nikonpc.com

The "PhotoIO Cineflat", "TassinFlat", and Flaat_12P are probably what you are looking for.

Select the profile, download it, and copy it to the root of your card. Then use the Nikon menu to load a custom profile, choose it your shooting mode.

You can see if https://nikonhacker.com/ has a firmware for your camera, which can give you higher bitrate recording at the cost of less record time.

I find my D5100s seem to be native at about 200ISO, 100 looks to overly contrasted, and 400-640 starts to grain up.

Using a non-kit lens (lens that came with the camera) can give you much more resolution and often time faster stops. A set of 18, 24, 28, 35, 50, 85, 135 F2 primes is what I use. The older manual Nikon lens are sharp and great, much better than the auto focus DX series lens. With manual lens in Manual mode, keep your shutter speed the same as the frame rate, or double. Do not go higher as you will get more strobing on moving objects. Pan slower than you think to avoid the pronounced rolling shutter and AVC motion artifacts.

I still tend to use lens filters like pola and ND grads to help with increasing the stop range.

I also still use an incident meter, because you cannot trust the onboard monitor in certain lighting conditions. You can get histograms by hitting the down arrow in picture review mode. Taking a snap shot, and then checking the histograms is a good way to verify your not over. Make sure your whites on the histogram are peaking above 235, if 255 is the far right side. AVC codec captures best keeping image details/info you want to see within 16 to 235 or sRGB levels.

Return to posts index

Shane mclaughlin
Re: advice shooting w/Nikon D5300 (best settings - video)
on Mar 7, 2016 at 7:17:16 am

Thanks for all the info!
What selection do you use for white balance? Auto?
What is the advantage of the profile downloads at nikonpc? Do they replace the Flat setting the 5300 does not have? (I used Neutral and pushed saturation, contrast, sharpness to 0.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]