FF vs APS-C: video question

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rony Sokolov
FF vs APS-C: video question
on Feb 1, 2016 at 2:21:54 pm
Last Edited By Rony Sokolov on Feb 1, 2016 at 2:25:21 pm

Hi,

I have the a7ii which I'm mainly using for shooting video. I'd like to understand how the sensor works with FF vs APS-C in video mode. The a7 has an option to manually change the size of the lens (between FF or APS-C). This means that I can use a FF lens but change the cam settings to APS-C mode.

So...I have a general understanding how it works with stills: with a full frame lens I can get the max resolution 6000*4000, or, if I use the APS-C mode (lets say I need optical zoom) I get a crop factor of 1.5 and lower resolution 3936x2624. It's quite straightforward: with the APS-C mode activated, only part of the sensor is at work and that's why things look closer. A 50mm FF lens in APS-C mode behaves like 75 mm.
Now, how does it work with video? Since the 1920*1080 resolution of video is much lower than any still taken with either FF or APS-C... Is there any loss of quality with the APS-C mode compared with FF mode in video? Or can I safely say that such feature in the cam turns a single FF lens into two (so if I buy 50mm it's like buying both 50 and 75). Of course, I'm planning to experiment once I get the lens, but theoretically...I would be interesting to know how the sensor gets from max resolution to HD video.

Hope someone can clarify here.

Many thanks

Macbook Pro 10.9.5, 2.6GHz Intel Core i7.
Final Cut Pro 7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]