Low Key

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandre Leitão
Low Key
on Feb 1, 2016 at 12:43:51 am

Hi guys, another newbie question so bear with me :D

http://tomantosfilms.com/1796/tutorial2/

I saw this tutorial in Tom Antos website and I really like the results and I tried to reproduce it with my gear. Basicaly I lit my subject and lower my ISO and Exposure compensation as he says in the video. But of course I got not the same results :) ... After seeing the tutorial few more times I started to understand that this has nothing to do with gear (of course you need a good gear) but this is more like a physics effect of light. What I mean by that and my real question is:

He accomplished this because he used 2 1k watts lights directly focussed on the subject to trick the sensor in to make everything else darker? Or I'm wrong and I can do this with 100 watts bulbs?

Looking forward to hear from you

Return to posts index

Alexandre Leitão
Re: Low Key
on Feb 1, 2016 at 11:17:35 pm

I will keep posting my learnings here so it turns into a reference for other people who try to do it without the knowledge like me :)....

I watched some more tutorials online and did some tests... The deal is not the power fo the light, of course if you get more light less noisy your footage will be but the point is how you setup the light you have.

1- Have your subject not too close to the background
You need to set your subject a little far from the background so you can mount and light behind him. I did some tests and used a 200 watts lamp in there. Be careful to not spill the light in the background or else you will ruin the shot. I used card board to prevent light to go in the wall and wax paper as diffusion. This light will create the rim light in the subject. I set it directly behind so I have a rim light in both shoulders and hair. You can set how you want. The way I did my body concealed the the bulbs from the camera.

With this you have a silloutte already

2 - Set your key light in a way you only light the subject and again no spills on the background. If you need do the same for your key light (I used two halogenic 500 watts lights - thats made me hot hahahaha at least for the camera )

3 - set your camera.... Lower iso you can, lower exposure you can I used the lower aperture too but i need to play some more with settings.

Tomorrow I will play a little more and post the results :D

If you need help to do it just message me and we find our way together!!

Return to posts index

Alexandre Leitão
Re: Low Key
on Feb 1, 2016 at 11:21:54 pm

Hum... no edit post function.

One additional information. I'm shooting 3 angles at same time and with this light setup I was abel to do it in the three angles at same time! One open shot from front canon T2i kit lens 18-55mm f/1:3.5-5.6 (dialed to 5). One close shot on my face from left side Nikon d3100 50mm f/1:1.8 lens( I didn't set it to 1.8 I can't remember what i dialed now) and canon T3 50mm f/1:1.8(same as nikon I don't remember what I dialed)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]