FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advice on how to shoot.

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandre Leitão
Need advice on how to shoot.
on Jan 29, 2016 at 12:49:48 pm

Hello guys,

As you now I'm a completely newbie on video making. I have some weeks off the work and I'm trying to shoot and produce some videos of me playing to youtube. I have lots of constraints besides knowledge and I need your help to come up with creative ways to workaround them :)

First this is my equipment
Nikon D3100 (lens 18-55 kit lens 3.5 to 5.6 f stop and a 50mm f/1.8 totally manual old lens) - Hacked firmware for manual video
Canon 1100D T3 ( kit lens 18-55 3.5 to5.6 and a 50 mm f/1.8 with auto-focus) - lantern firmware for manual video
3 Gopros black 3+
In few days maybe i get a sony nex7 but i need the guy to accept my trade proposal

As far as Audio equipment I have all needed to get a professional quality audio.

My first problem is my space is not to big and my cameras have cropped sensors (I understand what that means after buying the new lens.... yes stupid me) . So i have to put the cameras far as possible to get a half body shot. There is no way to solve this and I will have to accept right now no money for a 35 mm lens.

My house is under renew so I don't have much space in here (there is a picture bellow so you know what kind of problem I'm facing)

I want to keep things cool... so as far as background what you suggest cheap stuff please LOL? I tried to do a shallow dept of field but I need to get to close to the background and can't focus right for that.

I am a one man crew and musician.. is there anyway cheap or diy mechanical that i can get some automated camera movement?

And now the worst part as you know music in studio use to be recorded in takes... sometimes parts of the song are recorded in loops. So I will have lots of videos and lots of audios. Imagine this as example I will have 8 takes vs 3 cameras at least and 8 audio tracks for my editing. I will edit the audio and get the good parts in my Audio DAW to reduce to one audio but I need to do the same with the video and I don't even know where to start. My worst fear is get not synced audio this is the worst I saw in some youtube videos. Does any one can detail the workflow for that so it help me? Or maybe point me to some training or youtube videos on that matter? I just can't find nothing.

Thx alot guys
Sorry my bad english if I seems rude or boring is that my english sucks and sometimes I can't find the right words.

Looking forward to hear from you
Have a good one :)

Return to posts index

Alexandre Leitão
Re: Need advice on how to shoot.
on Jan 29, 2016 at 12:55:20 pm

Sorry forgot to send the picture and some important details

Picture

Details
I'm using a playback track to record sax over it
I can't have the backing track to go over my mic so I have to use earbuds... so the sax will be the only sound to use as sync
I'm trying to achieve something like this (of course I have lots of limitations so as close as I get for me is ok)

Thx again

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jan 29, 2016 at 2:27:26 pm
Last Edited By Steve Crow on Jan 29, 2016 at 2:30:56 pm

Ok just some ideas:

* buy or RENT a wide angle lens, something around 20mm - that will allow you to get much closer but of course you will be seeing more to the left and the right so make sure your background on either side of you is ok to be in the picture - you say you have no money for that but you don't need all those cameras, just one decent one - even a Canon T2i or newer will work. Or sell ALL your cameras and rent a full frame DSLR, or perhaps see if you can buy a used Canon 5D MII - or again, rent one.

* I don't know if you have IKEA stores in your area but if not check out the lighting section in your local hardware store for cool lighting options to hang in the background, like light strips or the round paper light balls - if you can manage some depth of field blurring in your shot they will look fantastic. You can hang party decorations like stars, crepe paper rolls from the ceiling to add some interesting looks to your background too - don't make the background cluttered, using just one or two of these ideas at the same time is more than enough

* You should consider filming in 1080 but editing in 720. That will allow you to do several things, one of which is to make "fake" camera moves inside the editing program - either zooming in, panning to the left and right or even tilting up and down.

* To compensate for the lack of real camera movement, make sure to shoot lots of different angles, (sounds like you know this one already) - try even a few weird ones, like from above, from the floor or maybe placing a GoPro INSIDE an instrument

* See if your editing program supports multicam clips which are perfect for music videos. I know Final Cut Pro X does an excellent job at this but I believe premiere has a very similar function. Search for youtube videos about multicam editing.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Alexandre Leitão
on Jan 29, 2016 at 2:36:53 pm

I have fcpx and I can get my hands on a copy of premiere if I need... my friend has a copy and I can trade with him for the license... but you understood I will have 8 complete takés of the same song? I have to cut the better takes(where I didn't play wrong or the interpretation is cool? So will be like a puzzle to get the best audio performance and then I will have one audio the worst part is identify what video belongs to each part of the audio and sync it.... any ideas?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jan 29, 2016 at 4:03:39 pm

Fcpx will sync the audio to your video automatically, like Plural Eyes does

So start learning about multiclips in fcpx and relax, its SO much easier than you think

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Alexandre Leitão
on Jan 30, 2016 at 3:40:59 pm

I got what you mean. I can create one multicam clip to each take(take has entire music) as the playback has a marker all clips will start at same time. Then i take the audio to my audio daw make the cuts and i can put some audio markers to tell me which take i should get the video from.

It will be some work but will work just fine :D

Steve really thanks for your help buddy you made things much more easy to me

BTW instead of the sony I got a canon t2i... of course is not a high-end cam but is better than my nikon and 3 dslr will allow me to achieve 3 angles with shallow depth of field lol

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jan 30, 2016 at 6:54:02 pm
Last Edited By Steve Crow on Jan 30, 2016 at 7:12:42 pm

Nope, it sounds like you are still making it too hard. You simply select the raw master audio file and all the video clips (angles) with their low quality audio and bring them into one multiclip, this will automatically sync all the video clips together using the master sound file as the reference.

Watch these videos (the first one is better even though it is very old), but there are many others on the Internet as well

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jan 30, 2016 at 7:28:10 pm

This technique is even easier - using just the sync and not the multicam clip (he doesn't mention until pretty far in that when you select the clips to autosync they can be audio or video files - fcpx syncs them all) - plus this clip has a very pretty girl in it so....enjoy

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jan 30, 2016 at 7:31:40 pm

Oh and in terms of sharpness or "crispness", I hope you know about the Phillip Bloom technique of doing all the sharpening during editing (it's far better quality than the in-camera sharpening) - experiment with shooting all your video "flat" and bringing it back to life in editing, like this:

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Alexandre Leitão
on Jan 31, 2016 at 7:40:53 pm

Ow Steve.... You are the man!!! You're being so helpful... But still there are one stuff i didn't understand. I know the sync tool and now I know the multicam tool but my mind still can't put the workflow and think will work... Let me try to explain with a example. For the sake of simplicity let's assume I am a guitarrist and singer. I have a audio backing track with a band playing and I will shoot a live recording session for a solo guitar.

Garage band or logic will be used for audio. So I set 3 cameras start the recording and perform the solo.One take all song. I stop the cameras save the files

Now I want more angles. So I change the cameras and create a new audio track in garage band and perform again. I can do this to infinity. At the end I will have one background audio track two or "n" guitar solo track and for each guitar solo 3 camera angles. Now it comes to the problem... If a play a song 10 time I will play it different 10 times. There are improvisation, intonation and other nuances that prevent me to play the same stuff again. I play what a feel in that moment and that will change as I play the song more I get to know more the song and try new stuff.

So I will end up with several guitar solos tracks in my audio daw and now is time to cut. I will choose the best part of each take and forge the entire guitar solo.

I will export the finished audio track to FCPX throw the clips in there and try to sync. What will happen is that each part of the music will have elements for "n" video clips and my experience with sync tool is that he will not understand that. Last time I tried i the video clips one after another as result.

Did I make myself clear? My english sometimes sucks :) ... sorry to bother you with my stuff :D

Hey BTW I have to open more two topics today and I will love to hear from you on them.. One is about exposure to make background black(not black backdrop but normal wall turned into black by combination of iso, exposure and shuter speed I saw this on you tube but i could'nt understand what the guy did and the other is I just close a deal and bought a beauty salon to my wife... now marketing time :) As I have all the equipment 3 dslr and a bunch of other stuff I want to discuss Ideas to make this modern and creative... I will be really glad to hear from you there too...

Again man... thx for all the help you are providing... I really appreciate!!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]