FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noisy Footage - Need Advice

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandre Leitão
Noisy Footage - Need Advice
on Jan 26, 2016 at 6:46:22 pm

Hi guys... I'm creating this topic from my phone so sorry for any typo...
I am a amateur musician from a couple years till now I'm trying to shoot some videos of me playing. And I'm getting frustrated everytime. I started with a little camcorder from Sony, then I tried my gopros(I have 3 of them) ... I always get noise in the image ( bear with me I know the problem is light just giving you my hystory). I read somewhere that I should buy a dslr... so I bought something on my budget a nikon d3100... kit lens... still noisy... then I read somewhere that to get a nice shallow depth of field and reduce noise I should buy a prime lens like 50 mm f/1.8... again... I spent all my budget on that... (in my country that stuff is absurdly expensive even used)

So my setup now is a nikon d3100 with that piece of glass but still noisy. I simply spent lots of money here (again my country is really expensive stuff like 300 dollars for that lens - btw used lens) and still don't get not even close what I want.

My shot is me seating on a chair with my guitar or saxophone. There are three daylight 100w making a 3 point light. I keep the rooms light on (6 spot lights 15 w each plus a 100 day light bulb- remember this is ceiling light)

My camera is set to shutter 1/50... f/1.8 ISO 400 exposition 0 I'm capturing 1080p 24 fPS. Subject is 3 meters from cam and 1.5 meters from key light and fill light(100w day light bulb) back light by physical restrictions is not above the subject but a little left.

Guys all my budget to that is over.... so can you give me some advice on how to do it for really cheap?my only goal is to have a fairly crispy video with no noise.

This is a sample footage and the exactly configuration. (my lens are totally manual so I can't use aperture mode)

ISO 100 (Auto ISO off)
F/1.8
Exposure compensation 0.3
WB Auto
ADL Off
Shutter speed 1/50

Thx so much for your help and sorry about my english

Return to posts index

Alexandre Leitão
Re: Noisy Footage - Need Advice
on Jan 26, 2016 at 10:30:09 pm

One more sample trying to change light and camera position

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jan 27, 2016 at 1:58:26 pm

Sorry, I am just not seeing the noise you are referring to in either shot. The microphone shot's focus seems a little soft (focusing at 1.8 can be difficult) but otherwise it seems fine too. Does anyone else see something that I'm missing?

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Alexandre Leitão
on Jan 27, 2016 at 3:52:32 pm

I see some grain in the footage... look at darker areas... maybe I'm being to hard on myself... I want a really crispy look... but hey if you say you can't see... I'm probably good to go :)... thx for your help... I will try to do a real project and post so you guys have more footage to analyst

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jan 28, 2016 at 1:06:00 am

I looked again and still don't see anything. If you want a "crisp" look then perhaps try adding some sharpening during the edit. I would be very conservative with that as my personal taste is that too much sharpening takes away from the cinematic look.

On the other hand, since I typically turn down the "in camera" sharpening way down, I have to add a tad back in during editing.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Alexandre Leitão
on Jan 28, 2016 at 1:13:24 am

You was very helpful Steve I really appreciate you help... let me ask you for one more hint... bear with me I'm a complete newbie :)... I have a eos rebel t3( not t3i) with the a 50mm f/1.8 lens too.. but it only films 720p... do you think I will loose to much quality if I scale up that footage to match my nikon 1080p? We are mostly talk about youtube videos... this will allow me to have three angles both dslr plus a gopro 3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]