FORUMS: list search recent posts

recording audio for dslr

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gavin Hoffman
recording audio for dslr
on Jan 25, 2016 at 5:52:20 pm

i am shooting a documentary and have a zoom H1. I need better audio quality and to use a shotgun mic. i don't know whether or not to just buy a rode videomic pro to use it with my zoom H1 or to buy the zoom H5 and buy another relatively cheap shotgun mic with a xlr input. is the recording quality difference between the 2 recorders very different when using an external mic?? will i get that much better sound with the latter setup??? thanks

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: recording audio for dslr
on Jan 25, 2016 at 9:18:05 pm

I don't know what kind of shooting scenarios you are looking at, but the best thing you can do for your audio is to get the mic closer to the source. What kind of audio are you trying to capture? And what camera are you using?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Gavin Hoffman
on Jan 26, 2016 at 10:35:49 am

thanks for the reply. i know how to use a mic. i am specifically asking about the equipment and which setup i should go with given my budget (small). i currently have a 650d and want an audio setup for general use and for interviews, indoors and outdoors. thanks again for any advice given

Return to posts index

Alexandre Leitão
on Jan 26, 2016 at 6:52:30 pm

Sorry to insist but I'm a musician and sometimes I do lots of recordings for others like interviews and audiobooks and all that stuff. Your zoom mic is quite good, BTW I have h4n and zoom h4. Isn't only a matter of put him on a pole or something? You can try to set the directional pattern so you capture less noise. For the pole you can use any self stick as he has a jack for that like a normal camera.

Return to posts index

Gavin Hoffman
on Jan 27, 2016 at 10:15:43 am

thanks for the advice. the h1 captures way too much surrounding noise and i am looking for better quality than the built-in mics on it. selfie stick is a good idea though

Return to posts index

Alexandre Leitão
on Jan 27, 2016 at 3:49:35 pm

Be sure to set the directional pattern... and lower the input volume....see the manual... I'm sure you will get a good track.. as I said I love that recorder I have 2 of the he and h4n

Return to posts index

Alexandre Leitão
on Jan 26, 2016 at 6:54:40 pm

I forgot. You can use zoom h1 line output wired to the mic input on your camera it will work flawless

Return to posts index

Alexandre Leitão
on Jan 31, 2016 at 7:41:05 pm

Hey... how are you doing there? :) Was you able to get good results? If not let me know and we can try to review settings together

Return to posts index

Ben Marcheski
on May 17, 2016 at 3:15:39 pm

The rode/zoom combo is a great solution. You can get twice the file backup redundancy if you run the Zoom Line Out into the Mic In (1/8 jack). Fair warning, it might be worth investing in a line/mic conversion cable depending on what camera you are using to pad the unbalanced signal. There is a -25db cable that works well with the Mark III. The Zoom will have higher quality audio, but will make re-syncing much easier! Good luck!

Ben Marcheski

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]