FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should i buy a d5300 or a 5d m3?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cassio Melo
on Jan 16, 2016 at 6:29:43 pm

Hi .I m thinking on buy my first camera and i have this killing question on my mind.

And all beacause of this:

As i Can see the quality is the same (if not better

The nikon have a good low light and better dynamic range(13.9 ev)

Before anything, i know but i not considering the 5d´s:

Magic latern raw,better low light(for me(i repeat,for me)the nikon wins this with the good price ,and i have no doubt of that)

I just wanna know from someone that got the d5300 that its just because of youtube compression,or that comparison its that equal(in normal light condition),and the d5300 its that awesome.Or further the shallow Dof there is a WAY MUCH better image quality that the 5d full frame sensor give ,and i cant see on youtube.

As i can see a good original sample.this youtube compression makes a lot of doubt

THANKS A LOT

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Should i buy a d5300 or a 5d m3?
on Jan 17, 2016 at 3:25:41 pm

I own a 5D Mkiii and have no ax to grind against Nikon. The D5300 seems like a nice camera, a few thinigs to think about after reading the specs on it.

• APS-C sized sensor?

• This would be one reason it's lighter. Downside to this is that if you buy specific lenses for it, they won't be useable if you upgrade to the new full frame cameras. Also, it's low light performance is likely to be worse than the 5D, just because of sensor size.
  • No Headphone jack?

• I cannot find anywhere that talks about it having a headphone jack. That would be a nonstarter for me. I expect all my video cameras to have a headphone jack. The Nikon Specs online do not mention it. Neither do two leading review sites.
  • HDMI out simultaneous card recording

• If you expect to use HDMI out to record to something like a Shogun, you likely will want to record as well to an internal card, especially if you are getting paid for the job, and it's a one time event. Specs state that you can't record simultaneously at 1080. The internal card drops to 720.
    For me, these issues are important. To you? Maybe not so much?

For the price, it's a nice camera. But it's really for still shooters that might want a little video in their lives.

If I was serious about it, I might download the actual files that were produced, rather than assume that YouTube compression is messing with the results.

Also, the Canon 5D Mkiii is showing it's age. I love mine, but obviously there are better video DSLRs out there these days. I added a Panasonic GH4 to my kit, and love it. The 4K is noticeably better than the Canon 2k, it's lighter, still built really well, with an adapter I can use all my Canon glass, and it has all the features of the 5D, i.e. clean HDMI out, headphone jack, etc. A wonderful camera for price, albeit the low light ISOs are a bit noisy. I use my 5D for all low light shooting, not the Panny. Panasonic appears to have cleaned up the ISO noise in the new GH8, and likely will in a next gen Gh4.

Good luck!

Al

Return to posts index

Cassio Melo
    on Jan 19, 2016 at 4:28:00 pm

Thanks a lot, i dont understand alot about shogun and ninja, but do you mean that i cant record at hdmi recorder and at the same time record in my dslr card?

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
    on Jan 19, 2016 at 5:58:01 pm

According to one review I read, you can record to an external recorder at 1080 but when you are doing that, the camera only records at 720p. If you never think you are going to need to use an external recorder, it might not be an issue.

I always try and remember where the product fits in the manufacturers line up. This camera is not aimed at pros, but at serious amateurs, and really, as mentioned, for still shooters who want to do a bit of video. The features are standard for many products like this these days.

If you plan to do a lot of low light shooting, I'd probably lean towards the 5D for the extra money.

Don't be surprised if you see the end of the 5D later this year. Price is dropping and it's nearing a logical product life cycle end point. For stills, I love it. I always use it to shoot portraits.

Al

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
    on Jan 20, 2016 at 10:25:35 am

To stir in extra thoughts, have you considered (for video) the sony alpha 7s2 or the Lumix GH4r?

If you are thinking stills-only, then you are comparing a mid-range Nikon with a much higher spec Canon - which will be reflected in price, in adaptability and ease in professional results, and, if you are careful use good lenses and have talent, in results.

Return to posts index

Cassio Melo
    on Jan 21, 2016 at 11:48:28 pm

Well when i put the 5d for comparison, i kind comparing the d5300 with this "others" cameras.But i dont know about this others, because the lenses factor is really a pain.
    And i´m really aiming for video.I know there is little technicians stuff of camera, but what i really wanna know about is the image(of video), the image texture,definition, color and stuff

Return to posts index

Jason Berger
    on Jan 27, 2016 at 9:43:35 pm

I was kind of in the same boat. Right now I'm editing a project using footage from a D3300 (same shooting quality as D5300, but less pro controls) and the MK III and the Nikon is holding its own with the MKIII.

The decision I made is to go with the D750. It's still cheaper than the MKIII, but it's a full frame sensor and I've been hearing nothing but good things about its low light capability and its ability to handle moire/aliasing.

Nikon streamlined the D750 with the intent of using it for videography and they really nailed something great here. I don't want to make the jump to 4k yet and this Nikon really won me over.

I would forget the D5300 altogether and consider the D750 instead. It's a really great camera.

Return to posts index

Jason Berger
    on Jan 27, 2016 at 9:46:22 pm

I should add the main reason I chose not to get a MKIII is because they can only shoot 60 fps at 720p. If you want 1080p you have to shoot 30fps. And that's pretty ridiculous when cameras half that price are offering 4k. The D750 shoots 1080p at 60fps.

Return to posts index

Cassio Melo
    on Jan 31, 2016 at 5:23:30 pm

i think i gonna go with the d5300, so i can expend money in others stuff like light,sound recorders etc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]