FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about recording format.

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Hark
Question about recording format.
on Jan 6, 2016 at 2:40:13 pm

A client wants to be able to submit his video to Much Music. This is what they say the format needs to be,
"Tapes delivered to CTV must be XD-HD in the 50Mb, 1080i/ 59.94 and signal parameters must conform to SMPTE
274M with no visible video impairment such as blocking errors or pixelization artifacts"

So I really have to shoot in 60 fps? How do I make it not look so "real" and still have the 24 fps "cinematic" feel while keeping it in 60 fps?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Question about recording format.
on Jan 7, 2016 at 3:32:56 am

Okay, first things first. You are NOT delivering at 59.94 frames per second. You are delivering at 29.97 fps, which is 59.94 FIELDS per second. So if you need to deliver at 29.97, I wouldn't shoot at 24! No way! Too messy! I'd shoot at 23.976, to make the conversion MUCH simpler.

And here's what I mean.by "simpler" -- shoot at 23.976. Edit at 23.976. Export the completed project at 23.976. Convert the 23.976 file to 29.97, adding the necessary 3:2 pulldown, using any common software: Apple Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder... what have you.

Pretty simple, huh? And people have been doing this for years -- how do you think they can show 24fps (approximately) film on 30fps (approximately) television? They use 3:2 pulldown!

Just make sure that you get your field order right -- it's upper field first for 1080i. That would be the only hitch.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 7, 2016 at 2:45:59 pm

Dave nailed it, but I would add, do they really need to get a tape from you, or can you deliver a digital file? Next issue, most cameras shoot at around 24Mbps, maybe 35Mbps for XDCAM. So what are you shooting with? Shooting at 24Mbps and converting to a 50Mbps format for delivery does not give the source 50Mbps quality...will they notice?

Many broadcasters have requirements that the source be at least 50Mbps, and having 4:2:2 color while most cameras compress with 4:2:0 color.

One way to really improve the source would be to use something like an Atomos Ninja 2 which takes the live feed from the camera and records as Apple ProRes, thus giving you the high-bitrate 4:2:2 source recording to work with, having far less compression than what the camera would provide on the SD card natively.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jan 7, 2016 at 8:55:41 pm

"XD-HD in the 50Mb, 1080i/ 59.94"

The TV station is probably operating on Sony XDCAM422 equipment. You can shoot pretty much whatever you want, but just need to deliver in 1080i(29.97 interlaced or 59.94 fields/s) rendered to Sony XDCAM422, which is a 50Mbs MPEG2 format in an .MXF wrapper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XDCAM

Shooting in 422 color will help with this, but is not necessary, as the TV station is likely buying your content an not the production color qualities. Shooting your DSRL in 1080i mode, editing in 1080i, and then rendering to XDCAM422.MXF will more than likely be accepted by the station. The station will likely have the equipment to accept the .MXF file and play it directly, or convert it to tape if they are really old school. The main thing to watch are your black levels when you do the conversion from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2. Verify with your video scopes the conversion is staying the same.

XDCAM422 can be rendered from Sony Vegas Pro Edit, and the recent Sony Catalyst series of products. Sony also makes a downloadable plugin for AVID and Final Cut, with some of the most recent versions support exporting it native.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/resource.demos.bbsccms-assets-micr...

You may also want to see if the Station is working with

https://www.sonymcs.com/

as that may also be an alternative delivery solution.

Return to posts index

James Hark
on Jan 12, 2016 at 2:14:24 pm

wow thank you I think I have all the info I need in this post. really appreciate it everyone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]