FORUMS: list search recent posts

APS-C lens on full frame cam - input needed.

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rony Sokolov
APS-C lens on full frame cam - input needed.
on Dec 10, 2015 at 3:56:56 pm
Last Edited By Rony Sokolov on Dec 10, 2015 at 7:56:50 pm

Hi,

I'd like to get your input on the following issue. I own Sony a7ii and would like to buy a prime wide angle lens for it. I know it might sound weird to buy a new APS-C lens for a FF cam. It probably makes more sense to use APS-C on ff cam if you owned one before buying the cam itself. Nevertheless there are few things that make me consider going with the APSC... I came across Rokinon in that past and was happy with the results and the price. So I thought about getting one of their wide-angle lenses. There's the 14mm f2.8 FF, and the 12mm f2 APS-C. Going back and forth between the two, I'm currently leaning towards the 12mm: it's much more compact - length and weight (about half in both), and you can use a filter (the 14mm comes with a build-in hood, so no filter is possible). I know that the 12mm will give me about 18mm on FF cam (and I think also one f/stop up- not sure), but for me it's good enough. Also, I'm aware that the crop factor will lower the resolution, but I'm mainly using the cam for making videos (1080p) so I don't think it's too important.

Would like to know what you think here. Am I missing something in terms of quality? I wrote about specific lenses, but my question is more general with APS-C.

Thanks.

Macbook Pro 10.9.5, 2.6GHz Intel Core i7.
Final Cut Pro 7

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: APS-C lens on full frame cam - input needed.
on Dec 21, 2015 at 5:41:08 pm

All lenses project light against the sensor. The main difference between APS-c lens is that you may start to see aberration on the edges of a full frame sensor. This may look like vignette or reduction in sharpness.

Full frame sensor is not really needed to imitate a 35mm look. The Nikon DX sensor is the same picture area of Motion Picture 35mm film. The full frame DSLRs are replicating the image area of 35mm still film which shot horizontal vs vertical in motion picture cameras.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]