FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which speedbooster for GH4? Nikon or Canon mount?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Eric Olson
Which speedbooster for GH4? Nikon or Canon mount?
on Dec 5, 2015 at 5:39:00 pm

I'm a first time poster to the cinematography forum, so apologies if this has type of question has been asked 1000x already.

I just purchased a GH4 and am looking to fill out my lens kit. I also have an AF-100 when I need a more full-featured video camera.

As far as lenses, I currently own the following:

Panasonic 12-35mm/f2.8 (m43 mount)
Panasonic 25mm/f1.4 (m43 mount)
Tokina 11-16mm/f2.8 (Nikon mount with m43 adapter)
Canon FD 28mm/f2.8 (with m43 adapter)

The Panasonic lenses are for everyday photography and a super lightweight video kit for traveling, so I plan to keep those as long as I have a m43 camera.

However, I'm not sure what to do with the Tokina. I purchased it before I had the Panasonic 12-35 and now I have two lenses with a similar focal range and constant aperture of 2.8.

If I got a Metabones XL Nikon to m43 speedbooster I could have a fast wide angle, f1.8 at 14-20mm equivalent focal range. I would also allow me to boost other Nikon mount lenses.

However, complicating this is that I would like to trade in my Af-100 for a Canon C100 at some point in the future and build out a set of lenses for that camera. So I'm not sure it makes sense to buy a Nikon mount speed booster if I'm planning to buy a Canon mount camera in the future.

So my question is as follows, should I:

a) Trade in the Tokina Nikon mount for the Canon mount version and use it with the metabones Canon to m43 adapter, with the aim of expanding my kit with Canon mount lenses.

b) Keep the Tokina Nikon mount lens and buy a metabones Nikon to m43 adapter, with the aim of expanding my kit with Nikon mount lenses?

c) None of the above (I'm open to ideas.)

For the record, I do mostly documentary and other non-narrative work (educational, corporate, etc).

Thanks,

Eric

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: Which speedbooster for GH4? Nikon or Canon mount?
on Jan 17, 2016 at 4:08:10 pm

Hi Eric - I am a GH4 shooter and I recommend you keep the Tokina, get the $479 Nikon G to MFT Speed Booster - and, when and if you are ready to step up to the C100, get a $15.99 Nikon to Canon adapter.

I prefer Nikon lenses to EF lenses because they can be adapted to just about any mount except PL.

Canon lenses, on the other hand, cannot be adapted to Nikon mount (in case you're ever interested in buying a D5 or D500 :)).

One more thought - instead of the C100, you might want to consider the $3495 JVC GY-LS300 4K Super 35mm camcorder when you are ready to replace your AF100.

This is a 4096x2160p 4K camcorder with a MFT mount (like your GH4), a Super 35 sensor (like the C100) and all of the pro camcorder features you're accustomed to with your AF100 (e.g., dual card slots, a top handle, built-in XLR inputs, built-in NDs and SDI out).

It also records to 3840x2160 Ultra High Definition (UHD), 2048x1080 DCI 2K and 1920x1080p HD (up to 60fps).

In addition, it has a new flat LOG profile similar to Panasonic V-LOG called J-LOG, which increases its dynamic range.

Like the C100, this is an 8-bit camera, but it has 4:2:2 color subsampling and will stand up to grading pretty well.

Here's a UHD file shot with cine gamma (before the J-LOG release):

“Honmonji Temple” in GY-LS300 by moribun (downloadable if you're a Vimeo Plus or Pro member [if you're not, you can sign up here)

Here's a nice J-LOG piece from Dan Chung at newssshooter.com:

JVC GY-LS300 4K J-Log Vision (not downloadable)

And here's a very quick J-LOG camera shelf test at 4096x2160 Cinema 4K resolution from Gert Tetzner at avmediafactory:

JVC GY-LS300 Firmware 2.0 J-log ungraded (downloadable for Vimeo Plus and Pro)

A few more examples of the image quality this camera can produce:

...and 1080p on Vimeo:

JVC GY-LS300 Camera Test

Breathing in New Life

A very nice overview from Zacuto:

First Look at JVC's GY-LS300

A couple of useful reviews from Rick Young's Movie Machine:

One of a kind - shooting with the JVC GY-LS300

Shooting with the JVC GY-LS300 & Micro Four Thirds Lenses

And two recent reviews of the new features introduced with firmware update v2.0:

Fred Blurton Reviews JVC’s GY-LS300 Firmware Upgrades Version 2.0 by Fred...

JVC LS300 Firmware v2 by Philip Johnston

I have shot with this camera - it is an easy-to-use, very high quality Super 35mm camcorder and a very good value for your money.

Hope this is helpful and good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]