FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 60d video issue: ghost edge on white objects

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Lees
Canon 60d video issue: ghost edge on white objects
on Nov 28, 2015 at 11:04:27 pm

Hello.

I have video of a friends wedding shot on Canon 60d. The white objects (collars/cuffs etc.) have ghost replicas lining them on each side. The replicas bleach out on both sides on a horizontal axis and are most noticeable when there is overexposure.

I can not seem to find a solution to this anywhere. Can someone please explain to me what this is? and if there's a way to fix it? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Canon 60d video issue: ghost edge on white objects
on Nov 29, 2015 at 7:30:31 pm
Last Edited By Steve Crow on Nov 29, 2015 at 7:35:57 pm

Let me ask you this, was this video shot interlaced or progressive? What resolution, what settings?

The screen capture looks very soft focus to my eye and overexposed too - the whites appear to be blown out or very close to it.

There also appears to be some moire going on in the man's jacket, most likely due to a very tight pattern in the fabric itself that the camera is having trouble resolving.

If this video was shot interlaced, see if you convert it to a progressive format and then I'd try lowering the overall exposure in the editing program. White areas that are blown out cannot be easily modified once shot, the data there is gone - unless filmed in some kind of RAW format which I highly doubt was the case here.

Moire on the jacket is going to be very hard to deal with. Some correction programs try to blur out the areas of the image that have moire in them.

For focus issues you can try adding A SMALL BIT on sharpening in the editing - unless the wedding was shot with a custom profile in which the sharpening was purposely set way down prior to shooting. In this case you can be much more generous with the amount of sharpening applied.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]