FORUMS: list search recent posts

Picture style, what are they?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Quintana
Picture style, what are they?
on Nov 22, 2015 at 3:30:59 am

There are so many videos and info on how to get pic styles and how to set pics styles in DSLR.

I am interested in what is a PICTURE style and how does the dslr cam achieve this.

If you want to do color correction (which I do) in post then, I understand and I would like to be corrected please if I am wrong: The camera sensor video is without pic styles, the camera has an internal software that ads build in cam contrast saturation etc etc.
This is why it is best to set contrast, sharpness and saturation to almost 0. Because you want to ad this in post. Adding in post would be better quality then the camera lower quality picture style.

Again, please correct me if Im wrong.

By the way, I film external on ninja blade (proress) and not internal H264 8 bit.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Picture style, what are they?
on Nov 22, 2015 at 2:07:40 pm

My understanding of picture styles (in-camera) is pretty much just what you said: the sensor just senses, but that feed is run through a series of filters, including a sort of s-curve translation for color. That's where you get picture styles. It seems about that same as placing a filter, automatically, on each image or video. For my DSLRs, I occasionally use the technicolor "flat" picture style and bring it all back in post - which sometimes seems counterintuitive, but it does seems to bring out seemingly lost details. Incidentally, I use the same flat shooting for still photos, too, for some really interesting results.

Even though the sensor has no picture style per se, the files produced do. If you use a pic style during shooting, it will be integrated with your final video. If you want flat, shoot flat and then re-add the technicolor s-curve or another type back to obtain a better final image. Hope that helps. Would love some more detailed discussion on this as my comprehension is based solely on my understanding of color profiles from monitors, printers, etc., though I know the concepts are very similar. For example, I've never found a good way to shoot for CMYK with an RGB camera. I know there are curves for it, but the color gamuts don't agree.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Nov 25, 2015 at 7:24:44 pm

Thank you Sir,

I shoot on Nikon d800:

Contrast at -4
sharpness at -4
Saturation at-3

Minus 4 being all the way down so cant get lower then that.

Then I record on Nin ja Blade on Proress or ND x HD. Using a ND filter, keeping at 24 frames and shutter at 50, native iso at 200. Only using the ND filter to adjust.

How do you feel about these settings?

I have Davinci full version and I do color correcting.Just really like to know about the above picture settings as I want to get the best footage I can capture.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Nov 25, 2015 at 10:22:15 pm

Discussion here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3250606

Yes to all, but saturation. I would just zero that (dropping contrast will make everything devoid of any highlights or shadow, you don't want to lose color saturation, but you don't want to boost it, either). Basically, shoot with whatever built-in "neutral" pic style and drop contrast and sharp. Adjust to suit. Are you shooting raw to your device?

I use Technicolor's flat pic style for Canon (it's a free download and really easy to install and it works with Magic Lantern). Nikon has Cineflat - not sure about it, tho (no experience).

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Nov 29, 2015 at 2:46:08 am

I am shooting proress to Ninja Blade external recorder.

Interesting that Sat should be left at O, I heard that before. Why if it can be set in post?

If the Saturation, contrast and sharpness are basically like a post process but build in internally in the camera, we can get better results by by-passing that build in processor which is basically just consumer quality????

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Nov 29, 2015 at 6:10:56 pm

Saturation can be added or removed. It's tough to put it back once removed - it always looks flat.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Nov 30, 2015 at 4:42:17 pm

Great Inf. every one.

Just did my first shoot with the Ninja on DN x HD , 1080 p.

used

contrast 0
sharpness 0
Saturation instead of all the way down I used only -2

Looks great for color grading in Davinci.

Return to posts index

omer emır
on Dec 13, 2015 at 6:25:22 am

A picture style is just a code that your dslr uses to manipulate original file. The difference is your camera does that before generate a codec so there is a minimum quality loss in result

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Dec 14, 2015 at 1:01:06 pm

To by pass the picture style settings is not possible. You always have to choose one style.

So, what would be the settings to get the total ORIGINAL file? Without having the camera ad anything. No manipulation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]