FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matching exposure of t2i and t1i

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heckt
Matching exposure of t2i and t1i
on Nov 19, 2015 at 1:17:52 am

Hello all,

I am wondering if it would be very difficult to match the exposure of a Canon Rebel t2i with the exposure of a cannon rebel t1i? I'll be shooting with some really low budget lighting. I want to do a 2 camera setup for an interview....
Thoughts? I'm not a great cinematographer

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Matching exposure of t2i and t1i
on Nov 19, 2015 at 7:15:34 pm

I am going to take just a common sense approach here so other ideas are welcome.

I guess it depends on what editing or color correction software you are using and how well you know how to use it. Final Cut Pro X has a easy "match color" function, not sure what other editing packages offer in terms of similar functionality.

I think the problem you are going to run into is that the Canon T1i operates in auto mode only when filming video so you can't control aperture, iso, shutter speed - which means all matching will have to be done in editing, basically. Of course, since you are filming both cameras under SIMILAR but not the exact same lighting conditions

(different angles and focal lengths between the two cameras could easily result in different lighting conditions) -

it will probably be pretty close to begin with if your scene isn't very contrasty and all the lighting is coming from one big ambient source, like the Sun. If there are parts of your scene in shadow or mixed lighting then you just have to make the best of what you can in editing unless you can change the lighting conditions before filming.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

John Heckt
on Nov 21, 2015 at 3:30:46 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be editing on Premeire pro, most likely. The lighting will be nothing fancy. I wish I could get my hands on two of the same camera, but it's a complicated situation that boils down to me having access to a t2i, a t1i, and a 7D. Didn't realize the t1i won't have manual exposure of film, so thanks for the heads up there. I'll see what I can do moving forward.

Return to posts index

John Heckt
on Nov 21, 2015 at 3:32:50 am

I guess i do have another question that I'm sure I won't like the answer to.

I've done some research on how to match exposures from two different cameras. All the articles insist that this should be avoided if possible. I'm not sure it can be avoided. Theres a chance that I will need to match the exposure of a rebel t2i and a 7d. Any advice on this challenging task?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Nov 21, 2015 at 3:49:08 am
Last Edited By Steve Crow on Nov 21, 2015 at 3:51:07 am

Actually matching a T2i and a 7D shouldn't be too much of an issue given the simple lighting. Both cameras are nearly identical when it comes to the video mode so first of all make sure you shoot in manual mode for video and use the same settings on both cameras in terms of ISO, shutter speed, aperture and any custom picture profile you may be using.

Frankly most viewers will never even notice if shots don't match - keep amy faces in roughly the same exposure and all your color matching "mistakes" will probably go unnoticed by 90 percent of viewers/

The major thing is going to be a consistent white balance so study up on how to set a custom white balance on the Canons, it's not that hard and basically involves taking a still picture of a white reference card, importing that image as a your custom white balance reference image. There are plenty of tutorials on the web on how to do this, using the same still image for both cameras custom white balance would be ideal. YOU WILL HAVE UPDATE THE CUSTOM WHITE BALANCE FOR EVERY SCENE AT THE VERY LEAST OR EVERY TIME THE LIGHTING CHANGES, EVEN FOR THE SAME SCENE

Use the histogram function on both cameras to double check a consistent exposure - an external monitor for checking exposure and focus would be very helpful here too but you would probably need one for each camera - if you can afford to rent two of them then consider that.

Be very careful of protecting your highlghts, meaning don't let anything in the frame be so overexposed that it goes to pure white - after that there's nothing you can really do to fix those super overexposed areas.

I might be tempted to steer you towards shooting with a flat custom picture profile on both cameras as flat profiles are specifically designed to guve you the max flexiibiility when color grading. However since you are so new I have to tell you that shooting flat is much more difficult and requires experience particularly when it comes to focusing. So I'd suggest you look up the Philip Bloom settings for Canon DSLRs and follow those or choose the Neutral picture profile.

I'm sure Premiere will have some tools like Final Cut to make the color matching job much easier or you can check out the free DaiVinci Resolve color grading suite.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

John Heckt
on Nov 21, 2015 at 3:13:53 pm

WOW! Thank you so much for all that input. That is VERY good news that it is a possibility. I understand I'll have to really do my homework, but the shoot isn't until late December so I should have plenty of time to research and test run. Thanks also for providing me with some starting points in regards to where I can find some of the info I need.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Nov 21, 2015 at 9:10:00 pm

No worries!

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]