FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on Multi Cam DSLR Studio

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthias Montgomery
Advice on Multi Cam DSLR Studio
on Nov 16, 2015 at 6:56:07 am

Hello all - I am trying to turn my music studio into a place where I can film music instructional videos . I'd like to do a (5) camera multi cam shoot with a remote that controls recording for all cams at once because I am a 1 man operation. The cameras need to be mounted and wired into my Mac Desktop so I can access the content for editing. I do not currently need live streaming (maybe down the line) . I will use the audio I record from a DAW (Digital Performer)

Hare are my questions:

1. Which camera is best for me . I have tried the gopro route and had a myriad of headaches trying to get them all to connect simutaneously. As long as they shoot 1080p/60FPS or higher and have an output that connects to my Mac for editing ...I'm good. I do not need audio , just video.

2. Do I need some kind of video interface to accept all the cameras or is just a USB hub enough?

3. Editing software everyone points to seems to be either Final Cut Pro X or Adobe Premiere? I've been reading about Plural Eyes for marking the video content to save time in editing...?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Advice on Multi Cam DSLR Studio
on Nov 16, 2015 at 5:07:47 pm

Plural eyes isnt an editor but a tool you use to sync the audio captured by the camwra - low quality - to the high end audio captured by your pro microphones. For this to work you do need some kind of camera audio to sync to.

I think what you are looking for is a video switcher, which can be either hardware or software.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Matthias Montgomery
on Nov 16, 2015 at 9:43:28 pm

Thanks Steve -

Someone just suggested I use (8) 1080p Surveillance cams to DVR and then export to Mac for editing ....quality must not be as good as a dedicated AVCHD cam?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Nov 16, 2015 at 9:49:08 pm

That's terrible advice

Check out this article for some ideas

http://www.provideocoalition.com/how-to-pick-the-best-cameras-for-your-live...

There are also interesting things happening with "drop cams" that record video wireless to the cloud

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/16/netgear-arlo-q-camera/

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Matthias Montgomery
on Nov 16, 2015 at 9:52:24 pm
Last Edited By Matthias Montgomery on Nov 16, 2015 at 9:54:01 pm

Thanks ! will check - I like the drop cams - but am I limiting myself by not getting at least 1080p or even 4k for that matter ....

if you go to 1:20 in this video - this is exactly what I'm going for :

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]