FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Universal" lens mount

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Morgera
"Universal" lens mount
on Nov 6, 2015 at 7:31:24 pm

Hi,

I had a question that I haven't been able to find the answer to online. Right now, I have two cameras I use frequently, both micro 4/3 mount. I'm looking to purchase some new lenses, and I'm not sure what lens mount would give the most versatility. I'm probably going to be in the market for a new camera in 2-4 years (hopefully closer to 4!), and will be more likely to move to a Super 35/full frame system than sticking with micro 4/3.

So, I know there are many different types of mounts, but which one is the most adaptable? I don't want to buy lenses with Sony E mounts now, then decide to buy a Canon body and need all new lenses.

From what I can gather, Canon lenses would probably be the answer, because there sensors are a little further in than other brands, so adapters for those lenses are designed to keep the sensor distance the same. But, is that correct?

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: "Universal" lens mount
on Nov 8, 2015 at 10:28:26 am

Shorter flange to focal plane distances for mirrorless mounts (e.g., 18mm for E mount, 19.25mm for MFT) prevent these lenses from being adapted to Canon EF mount, where the flange to focal distance is 44mm.

That's why you can adapt Canon lenses to MFT or E mount, but not the other way around.

I own a GH4 and have made pretty much the same decision. My next camera will probably be an EF mount Blackmagic camera, so I plan to start buying Canon lenses in preparation.

Good luck!

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]