FORUMS: list search recent posts

flicker/dazzles in video of brick wall, why?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Gren
flicker/dazzles in video of brick wall, why?
on Nov 4, 2015 at 5:51:01 pm

I was shooting this building but saw that the footage was ruined by this annoying flicker, and I don't know why it is there. Anyone with experience who knows what this caused by?

It happens on every building with brick walls or other areas with lots of texture! :O

// Lisa Gren

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: flicker/dazzles in video of brick wall, why?
on Nov 5, 2015 at 4:05:55 am
Last Edited By Jason Jenkins on Nov 5, 2015 at 4:07:04 am

Hi, Lisa:

It's called moiré and it can happen with CMOS cameras; some more so than others. What camera are you using? Dialing down the sharpness and contrast in the camera settings can help.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: flicker/dazzles in video of brick wall, why?
on Nov 8, 2015 at 10:46:08 am

Lisa - as Jason says, it's called moiré, and it is the result of poor downscaling from the 20 or so megapixels collected by your sensor to the <2 megapixels needed for 1080p video.

Most of the extra pixels are thrown away in a process known as "binning". This can create moiré on patterned objects (e.g., bricks and shingled roofs). Many DSLRs (especially Canons) suffer from this phenomenon.

Panasonic G and GH cameras, on the other hand, have a better downscaling algorithm. Here are a couple of side-by-sides between the Canon 60D and a moiré-resistant Panasonic GH camera:

Sadly, newer Canon cameras are not much better. Here is a side-by-side between the Canon 60D and 70D:

This was part of the reason I sold my Canon DSLR and bought a Panasonic DSLM.

If you don't want to buy a new camera, there is a company called Mosaic Engineering that sells anti-moire/aliasing filters for Canon, Nikon and Blackmagic cameras.

Hope this is helpful and good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]