FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR Video doesn't look as good as it used to.

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gersh Dharma
DSLR Video doesn't look as good as it used to.
on Nov 1, 2015 at 5:21:54 pm

Hi,

I filmed some 1080p24 video on my Canon 650d, and it doesnt look full hd. It looks better than 576i footage, but still not great... not as good as footage i see on youtube, with the same camera and lens.
Why does it look this bad? It looks fine on camera (but then again it is a 3" screen), but on my 24" 1080p panel, it looks bad...

9404_mvi1587.mov.zip

Please help?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: DSLR Video doesn't look as good as it used to.
on Nov 2, 2015 at 1:00:17 am

I think the main problems are not so much technical but more on the creative side. I will say that the shot appears to me to be overexposed (but still within legal limits) and I think a lot of this is caused by a strong shaft of light coming from screen right and going diagonally screen left crossing the electrical box in front of the wooden wall. This shaft is causing some overall glare. One thing you can do in editing is to lower the exposure of the highlights.

Creatively, the real problem is that the shot is simply boring and much too long - it appears to be a wide establishing type shot showing someone waiting? at a busy street corner.

You have deep focus so there's nothing that interesting in the frame to capture my attention - I think that's why it looks like DV video.

I don't know if you were asking for this kind of feedback but I'd cut this down to 2- 3.5 seconds total for the sequence and think about how I could use maybe 2 or 3 shots to get across this idea in a more interesting way. For instance. what if you had a close up of the waiting man's hands anxiously flipping the newspaper's pages, then maybe a quick shot of his darting eyes and head movement to show that he is not really interested in the newspaper at all - but is waiting or watching out for someone. Then you can have the wider shot showing the overall street scene but very short.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Bob Spez
on Nov 2, 2015 at 3:04:19 am

I wonder what lens you used? Your overall focus is soft, and the women are more in focus than the man at the left. Are you using autofocus or manual?
Also you are shooting into the sun which gives the scene a hazy look to it. Maybe the lens needs to be closed a few stops to get a better overall focus and depth of field as well.

Return to posts index

Gersh Dharma
on Nov 2, 2015 at 12:03:49 pm

i was using the 55-250 stm lens... at about f7.1.
i wanted a little lensflare... to give it that effect.

but even when shooting other videos, not in direct sunlight.
it still doesnt look great...
i think i was using af with tracking on him. and on tje camera screen it seemed alright.

also, to the guy above. It was just a video to try out the panning skills of the tripod... and to show off my friend's wheel. so the creative side doesnt really matter.

Return to posts index

Bob Spez
on Nov 2, 2015 at 5:21:44 pm
Last Edited By Bob Spez on Nov 2, 2015 at 5:27:37 pm

Sounds like you need to manually focus to get a sharp focus. The depth of field can be controlled with the f-stop. Also, what iso were you shooting at? Higher or auto iso can produce a more washed out look than sticking to the low isos. Finally, shots need to be color graded to pop. If you look, you can see pretty heavy color grading on every TV show.
Another thought, is when on a tripod you should keep VR (vibration reduction) off. Another is try another lens to see if it makes a difference.

Return to posts index

Gersh Dharma
on Nov 2, 2015 at 5:28:14 pm

i was shooting at iso 100. That is why i had to have the f-stop at 7.1.... even for some shots which i couldnt upload. that were in focus. it doesnt look great. Before colors... my problem is the quality, as in detail. should i use something like cinestyle? and add sharpness in post?

Settings on the camera were...

Sharpness max.
contrast 2 clicks below max.
saturation max.
color tone normal.

Return to posts index

Bob Spez
on Nov 2, 2015 at 5:33:31 pm

Try setting all your camera settings to standard and do your processing in post. If you set your contrast low, that is what you got.

Return to posts index

Gersh Dharma
on Nov 2, 2015 at 5:39:18 pm

Shall i set them to Standard, Neutral, or Cinestyle?
Also, The reason i set them to my custom vivid profile, is because then i dont have to color correct it later.
From what ive heard, its better to get colors how u want on camera, than grading.

Return to posts index

Bob Spez
on Nov 2, 2015 at 5:54:17 pm

I set my colors to standard. I use Premiere Pro CS6 to grade. I don't think it's possible to get a professional looking video without doing some color grading. Check out youtube videos on color grading. Some people remove the color and contrast first, but I don't. I'm just adding a bit of saturation and color correction and tweaking the highlights and shadows like I would a photo with Photoshop.

Return to posts index

Gersh Dharma
on Nov 2, 2015 at 5:55:47 pm

ok, ill try that next time.... the only problem now is. that in the uk there isnt much light in the day time.

Return to posts index

Bob Spez
on Nov 2, 2015 at 6:02:38 pm

Premiere Pro CS6 has some very good lighting effects you can add in post from spotlights to ambient lights to coloring the light. You can also change the focal length, turn a wide angle into a closeup, etc. Check out some youtube videos on lighting with Premiere Pro. You've got good equipment. I think you just need to learn some of the things you can do in post to totally change the look of the video out of the camera. You can't improve the focus, but the color and lighting and focal length are all adjustable. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Gersh Dharma
on Nov 2, 2015 at 6:04:57 pm

wait are you serious?? its not in raw... and only 1080p, so surely im losing quality?

Return to posts index

Bob Spez
on Nov 2, 2015 at 6:12:14 pm

What I see is soft focus and lack of contrast. Not talking about raw. I shoot in 1080P as well. If you think your camera is working differently then get some previous footage that you thought was good and compare some frames side by side on your monitor and analyze what is different. Is it the focus, the sunlight, etc.? Also look at the properties of the clips. Your baud rate at 67K is pretty high. Is you camera shooting at that baud. 32K should be plenty.

Return to posts index

Gersh Dharma
on Nov 2, 2015 at 6:13:28 pm

lack of contrast? contrast was pretty high on the camera. ill try and fine some old clips...

Return to posts index

Gersh Dharma
on Nov 2, 2015 at 6:23:49 pm

it seems that the videos in auto are better than the videos in manual. the clarity looks better... i might try a different picture profile... maybe its the in camera sharpening.

Do you think i need to get the sensor/ lens element cleaned?

Return to posts index

Bob Spez
on Nov 2, 2015 at 6:29:48 pm

I'll try to add a jpg to my message. I graded the last frame of your video. It took about 3 minutes in Photoshop. The same effects can be applied to the whole video with Premiere Pro CS6 in about the same amount of time.

Return to posts index

Bob Spez
on Nov 2, 2015 at 6:35:38 pm

Here's the link to my image.
https://images.creativecow.net/302750
It wound up in my Creative Cow image wall. Click twice on the thumbnail to get it full size.

Return to posts index

Gersh Dharma
on Nov 2, 2015 at 6:37:16 pm

it looks ok, but still fuzzy... as i said, its not the colors or anything... its the lack of detail... for a 1080p video it doesnt look great... especially compared to online test footage... and this is even with YTs compression!

Return to posts index

Bob Spez
on Nov 2, 2015 at 9:27:51 pm

Here is a link to the the original and graded images side by side. Click twice on the smaller of the two images.

https://images.creativecow.net/302750

While grading can make the image more saturated and vibrant and give it the appearance of greater contrast, it can't correct for fuzzy focus.

I looked at your video again and realized you were shooting from across the street as cars passed between the camera and subject. Telephotos tend to get soft, the further away they are from the subject. If you shot closer with a wider angle lens I think you would get more of what you are looking for.

Return to posts index

Gersh Dharma
on Nov 3, 2015 at 3:45:58 pm

hmm ok... but the thing is... when i use the 18-55 i get a similar problem... also, for pictures the 55-250 at 250 is amazingly sharp!

Return to posts index

Nathan Walters
on Nov 3, 2015 at 4:33:47 pm

Yeah but you'll be getting way more resolution out of a photo than video, so that's not really a fair comparison.

I own a 650d as well. It's really just not capable of getting sharper, more crisp images. I definitely use cinestyle to get more out of a dynamic range and allow for more cinematic images. Then I color correct and grade the crap out of it. Though you have to keep in mind, the 650d creates highly compressed files; so you'll easily hit a point where you can't grade anymore without getting digital artifacts.

Your best bet is doing some solid color work. There's a degree where you can sharpen images in post but it's a fine line for sure.

Nathan Walters
Halo Union Productions
http://www.HaloUnion.com

Return to posts index

Gersh Dharma
on Nov 3, 2015 at 4:51:01 pm

Ok, thanks... I have magic lantern so i can get a higher bitrate...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]