FORUMS: list search recent posts

Old DSLR or Traditional 4K Video Camera?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Wishart
Old DSLR or Traditional 4K Video Camera?
on Oct 27, 2015 at 1:10:00 pm

Hi Everyone!

I'm faced with a difficult decision, but to keep things short, I'll try to list out my issues rather than creating a story:

• I'm tasked with finding a camera for me to use on shoots for concrete and brick laying; other equipment approved... win :)

• Company wants great video, and to at times take photos

• One person argues 4K is where we should go, but my budget is limited, and the 4K cams I can use are smaller cam-corders; Panasonic HC-X1000 is about where I'm at

• I feel a 1080 DSLR (5D Mk III or 7D Mk II) will allow me to be more precise; along with added photo abilities; but it's not 4K; insanely clear and sharp image quality, though

• I'm comfortable with either type, although I'd prefer a DSLR for a more "scalpel-like" precision and photo ability. Slowly we're heading to 4K, but at this point is it something I should be looking at just yet(?); much of this will be for online use, with the exception of a few expo TVs/booths. Already looked at the SONY A7R II, and have decided not to get it as the overheating seems to be a major issue and risk.
    Do I move to the future of video with a "butter-knife" and annoying touch screen? Or do I keep the precision of an aging format/resolution?
    No joke, I've lost sleep over this last night :-/ ANY thoughts and insights are welcome.
    Hope everyone has a great day and I look forward to seeing what comes out of this.

Take care!
    -Alex-

@AlexWishard
    or
    @AscensionVisual
    OR
    Ascenvisuals.com

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
    Re: Old DSLR or Traditional 4K Video Camera?
    on Oct 27, 2015 at 5:31:43 pm
    Last Edited By Steve Crow on Oct 27, 2015 at 5:35:06 pm

Have you thought about the Sony A7S II which only recently came out? The folks over at the "Our Week in Video" podcast just had a fellow come on the show to talk about his experiences with the camera.

https://www.facebook.com/ourweekinvideo

Unless the client is specifically asking for 4K you really don't need it frankly for web video or even tradeshow booth content - yes, it's very nice to have but also places demand on your computer processing during editing, storage, backup and archiving. But in your budget don't forget all the other bits and pieces - a great ND filter for getting shallow depth of field for any "artsy" shots outdoors on a bright day springs to mind - and maybe an external monitor to help getting that critical focus. I've only used a LCD loupe with my camera but the scopes etc on modern external monitors are hard to pass up, although you may need some kind of simple rig. And AUDIO,that's going to be critical for you so don't shortchange yourself there.

Bottom line, get the camera YOU are most comfortable with, it's you who is going to be using it and these days it's very hard to go very far wrong, 4K or not.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

David Salahi
    on Oct 28, 2015 at 3:21:41 pm

Alex,
    I'd recommend that you first get clear on what you expect to get from a 4K camera. From your post it's not clear to me why a 4K camera would be right for this project.

Don't get me wrong. I have a Panasonic GH4 and I love it. I almost always shoot in 4K, mostly for the ability to crop in post. For the type of work I do that's a huge advantage.

But be clear on your expectations and don't forget that editing 4K footage requires a fairly capable PC.

Dave

http://photoperformance.photos/

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
    on Nov 14, 2015 at 12:22:00 am

Alex- for a few hundred dollars more than the $2998 Panasonic HC-X1000, you can have both 4K and the large sensor look of a DSLR.

The new $3495 (body only) JVC GY-LS300 camcorder has a Super 35 sensor, about the same size as the 7D II or a Hollywood cinema camera - and records to full 4096x2160 4K.

With the v2.0 firmware update, 4K and a new "J-LOG" flat color profile, it can produce images that are competitive with high end cinema cameras.

Here's a nice review of the new J-LOG and prime zoom features:

- Fred Blurton Reviews JVC's GY-LS300 Firmware Upgrades Version 2.0

Here's a 3840x2160 Ultra High Definition file shot with cine gamma (before the J LOG release):

- “Honmonji Temple” in GY-LS300 by moribun (downloadable if you're a Vimeo Plus or Pro member [if you're not, you can sign up [here])

Here's a nice J-LOG piece from Dan Chung at newssshooter.com:

- JVC GY-LS300 4K J-Log Vision (not downloadable)

And here's a very quick J-LOG camera shelf test at 4096x2160 Cinema 4K resolution from Gert Tetzner at avmediafactory:

- JVC GY-LS300 Firmware 2.0 J-log ungraded (downloadable for Vimeo Plus and Pro)

A few more examples of what this camera can do:

-

-

...and 1080p on Vimeo:

- JVC GY-LS300 Camera Test

- Breathing in New Life

A very nice overview from Zacuto:

- First Look at JVC's GY-LS300

And a couple of useful reviews from Rick Young's Movie Machine:

- One of a kind - shooting with the JVC GY-LS300

- Shooting with the JVC GY-LS300 & Micro Four Thirds Lenses

I have shot with this camera - it is an easy-to-use, very high quality Super 35mm camcorder and a very good value for your money.

Hope this is helpful - and good luck with your decision!

Bill
    Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Alex Wishart
    on Nov 17, 2015 at 2:19:28 pm

Update:

Wow! Thank you so much for your help, everyone :) For my own personal use, I'll certainly be keeping all of these suggestions in mind.
    Unfortunately, once corporate had seen the costs for my camera (it's a new position), they flipped and told me to cut/downgrade my equipment. Sadly, I have more at my own house than what I do at my job, and will have to be somewhat clandestine in my equipment use. Though I think it's safe to say that that's pretty much every videographer's life story :)
    I'll be using a 7D MK II for both filming and photos. I did see a video that shows how to export 1080 to "4k" size (it's mainly a bit rate trick), but even then, our demographic will most likely max out at 1080p for now. I'd like to have a 4K option, but I'll certainly make some great video none-the-less, and keep these suggestions in mind after they realize they need to update/upgrade equipment.
    Thank you again to everyone for your insights, video tests, and question posing. It's always nice to have more experienced people look at issues.

Take care!
    -Alex-

@AlexWishard
    or
    @AscensionVisual
    OR
    Ascenvisuals.com

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
    on Dec 21, 2015 at 5:30:15 pm

You could just rent a red or alexa package for the shoot days. Businesses can write off the expense of equipment rentals in a different fashion than capital goods. That would give you much better color quality and look than some DSLR camera.

Return to posts index

Robert Trip
    on Jan 2, 2016 at 4:42:56 am

why not get the best of both worlds and get the panasonic gx8 for 4k. video. :)

Return to posts index

Robin Kang
    on Oct 13, 2016 at 6:15:08 pm

Maybe I'm just old school, but the 5D MK II has been enough for me. I've shot promo videos, most recently for a garbage bin rental company, as well as backup wedding videos with it and it's been great for me and my clients.

Future proofing is something you'll always struggle with. Sometimes you just have to pull the trigger so you can get on with your work. (and sleep lol)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]