FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow to Normal Speed Transition

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Apple
Slow to Normal Speed Transition
on Oct 23, 2015 at 4:04:55 pm

I am trying to achieve a slow motion to normal speed look that is in this video. Check the videos to see the look I am talking about.

Skip to 2:17-2:25.

Skip 1:02 to 1:08

Can anyone tell me there work flow from capturing to editing?

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Slow to Normal Speed Transition
on Oct 23, 2015 at 7:16:42 pm
Last Edited By Jason Jenkins on Oct 23, 2015 at 7:17:46 pm

You've got two choices:

1) You can shoot normally and do all the speed changes in post. This requires the software to create new frames to lengthen out the desired sections of footage. The results can vary from great to lousy, depending on the software and the footage.

2) You can shoot at a higher frame rate, such as 60fps, then edit at 24fps. This will give you 2.5X slow motion. This will give you very clean, smooth slow motion. The portions you want to play back at regular speed, you would speed up by 250%.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Slow to Normal Speed Transition
on Oct 23, 2015 at 7:40:30 pm
Last Edited By Steve Crow on Oct 23, 2015 at 7:42:13 pm

How about this, shoot at 24fps or 30fps and put into a regular matching timeline. Then blade the clip into two separate clips - the slow part and the regular part. For the "slow part" see if you can apply a negative "speed ramp" filter which will slow it down in post - then just place the second clip in normal speed right after it.

But as you point out, this is relying on software to "fake" the slow motion while your suggestion is more organic as no new frames have to be created.

Steve Crow

PS: Here's what I am thinking of as demonstrated in Final Cut Pro X:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/retiming_fcp_x_stone.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]