FORUMS: list search recent posts

Low light shooting: which DSLR?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Payne
Low light shooting: which DSLR?
on Oct 6, 2015 at 5:16:14 pm
Last Edited By David Payne on Oct 6, 2015 at 8:55:29 pm

I have watched many comparison videos, but since don't have a hands-on experience, I'm still unsure. For a short film I'll be shooting soon, I can either:
- rent a Sony A7S and a Sony lens for $80, or
- borrow a Canon C100 or C300 with lenses for free.
The thing is, all the scenes will be shot at night, mostly on streets with street lamps as the only major light source. It's a very low-budget production, so with a C100, I might invest the spare $80 in renting other gear, like lights. The lens I'd rent for Sony A7S would be Sony FE 28-135mm f/4, while with a C100, I'd get three Cine lenses - Canon CN-E 24mm, 50mm and 85mm, all with the T-stop at 1.3 - 1.5. Which would you choose?

Edit: It's worth mentioning that a substantial number of shots will be moving shots (either a on glidecam or on a rig).

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Low light shooting: which DSLR?
on Oct 6, 2015 at 7:00:34 pm

[David Payne] "Which would you choose?"

I would choose the C100 because it has a better overall image at 1080 and you have lenses for free already.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Oct 6, 2015 at 9:46:54 pm

The C100 has a native ISO of 850, which means you could double that before seeing noise compared to other cameras.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 8, 2015 at 9:34:44 pm

[Aaron Star] "The C100 has a native ISO of 850, which means you could double that before seeing noise compared to other cameras."

Yes, but the A7S has a native Slog2 ISO of 3200.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Oct 6, 2015 at 11:26:39 pm

If you are going to be using a Glidecam for a substantial number of shots AND be filming in dark situations then I would tend towards the A7S because of:

* weight
* Unbelievable light sensitivity particularly when filming "flat" using their S-LOG profile which requires that you set the ISO to 3,200 at the LOWEST - obviously not great for daylight filming but in those cases you simply switch to another neutral profile.

I just happened to listen to an "Our Week in Video" podcast episode (#37) a couple of days ago with a very well known A7S shooter and Jeff Wood's comments regarding picture profiles, shooting on Glidecams and so on may very well be of interest to you.

http://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-h4up7-593c8c

https://www.facebook.com/ourweekinvideo

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]