FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting Flicker

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amber Sanders
Lighting Flicker
on Oct 3, 2015 at 12:25:37 pm

Hi there,

Im wondering if anyone can help? I have some footage i filmed in London on a Canon 5dmkiii 25p 1/50 shutter.

There is flicker from the lighting in the footage. I may be wrong but i had thought if your filming PAL 25p 1/50th in a 50mhz area you should not see any flicker?

If any one can explain why I'm wrong would be greatly appreciated, but also if there is a way to reduce it in anyway through Premier Pro.

I have Magic Bullet Denoiser II plug in which i have read may help but i am unsure of the settings to use?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Lighting Flicker
on Oct 3, 2015 at 12:43:58 pm

Here is an article that will explain it all for you:

http://urbanvideo.ca/avoid-video-flicker

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Amber Sanders
on Oct 3, 2015 at 12:58:17 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your message. I'd read that article and it seemed to suggest that shooting 25p in a 50hz zone would not produce flicker?

I may be misunderstanding it though?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Oct 3, 2015 at 1:04:54 pm

No you're right, it shouldn't have happened at least in terms of electricity rates being an issue. Did it look like the rolling bars as seen in the sample video posted in the article?

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Amber Sanders
on Oct 3, 2015 at 1:11:08 pm

Hi Steve,

Yes it does.. could the electricity at the Hotel have been on a different hz?

I can't understand it

Return to posts index

Amber Sanders
on Oct 3, 2015 at 1:12:36 pm

Its also worst next to the lights so it definitely comes from the lighting. And i shot it in two different rooms so its not an individual light

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Oct 3, 2015 at 1:11:42 pm

Okay, here's another thread to look at, similar to yours,

One person found that if they held the AE lock button down it solved the problem, another person commented that the problem is that the electricity rate sometime varies so while it is supposed to be a steady 50HZ it may actually be slightly higher or lower - I'm thinking that's what happened to you.

What a pain in the ass

Steve

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Oct 3, 2015 at 1:13:09 pm

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/280/7346#7361

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Oct 3, 2015 at 1:17:46 pm

by the way, just to be clear, the issue is the pain in the ass, not you! :-)

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Amber Sanders
on Oct 3, 2015 at 1:24:49 pm

Ha ha! No worries i got that... thanks Steve, i appreciate your help, very kind...

Such a pain in the ass!

I dont suppose you know anyway of reducing it in post. Annoyingly i can't reshoot...

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Oct 3, 2015 at 1:30:36 pm
Last Edited By Steve Crow on Oct 3, 2015 at 1:32:12 pm

The article from RED is helpful but it says basically the same thing, you shouldn't have had an issue:

http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/flicker-free-video-tutorial

In both of the earlier threads/pages people talked about different plugins like Denoiser and Flicker Free that seemed helpful, check them out and see if it works, - I think I once used a filter in final cut pro, motion blur something or other to lessen the effect

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Amber Sanders
on Oct 3, 2015 at 1:45:23 pm

Perfect thanks Steve, if anyone does know the best settings for Denoiser to reduce the flicker would so appreciate the advice. Im struggling to get any results at all, but I'm not that familiar with it...

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Oct 4, 2015 at 7:48:53 pm

Can you post a sample of your flicker problem to YouTube or Vimeo?

One idea I had, is to export to EXR, TIF, or PNG. Then use one of the software that corrects exposure issues with time lapse shots. Time Lapse shots often have iris issues that create slight variance in exposure from one frame to the next. This just sounds similar to lighting flicker. However it does depend on the amount of flicker, in the frame.

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Oct 4, 2015 at 9:24:11 pm

I had the same problem, fixed it with De:flicker from DE:Vision.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Oct 4, 2015 at 10:22:06 pm

I found this free alternative method online a few minutes ago I'm not necessarily recommending it because to my eye it really softens the image, but others were okay with it and it might be worth a shot in a crunch

http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/quick-trick-for-de-flickering-your-video-sh...

(be sure to read the comments about this method posted on the premium beat site) The plugins DE:Flicker and Flicker Free are not cheap but the results seem worth the expense. I researched just now the Denoiser II plugin from Red Giant and it doesn't appear to me to have anything to do with video flicker removal but rather noise removal as the name suggests.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Amber Sanders
on Oct 5, 2015 at 8:18:10 am

HI Steve,

I will definitely try that, though i would be wary, i noticed that even the more expensive software slightly softens the image, though i imagine to a lesser extent...

I thought that was the case with the Denoiser but had seem so many threads mentioning it i thought there might be a clever way of using it that i could not figure out!

Steve, thank you again for your help, it really is appreciated! Its so frustrating this as it seems like a freak occurrence with the lighting, but of course in the client head it will be my problem!

:)

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Oct 5, 2015 at 2:44:13 pm

No worries, that's why we participate in this forum, to share our experiences. I've had this very thing happen myself and on the small LCD screen I didn't notice it happening while we were filming. Perhaps if I had had a larger external monitor I could have caught it.

At least you now have a partial solution and you can always try adding a sharpness filter to the footage after the plugin has run, or maybe even before. Experiment and share with us how it goes.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Amber Sanders
on Oct 5, 2015 at 2:53:15 pm

Thanks Steve,

I will do... Yea it is good to know that it can happen your right... at least to be on the look out!

:)

Return to posts index

Amber Sanders
on Oct 5, 2015 at 8:14:47 am

HI Aron,

I don't really want to as the footage is for an internal thing for the company and they will not release it so, just want to be safer than sorry. Apologies, i hope you understand.

As you say i think some type of deflicker software is probably the best option. I have the trial of Digital Anachys programme downloaded and it seems to work well...

Thank you again for your help :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]