FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to shoot in Manual Mode in Canon 760D?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Abhinav Joshua
How to shoot in Manual Mode in Canon 760D?
on Oct 3, 2015 at 9:57:11 am

Hi,
I have been a Nikon user since 4 years and no nothing about Canon. Recently I got a Canon 760D. I am planning to shoot a friend's Music Video. So when I was learning and exploring this camera, I found out that in Manual Mode, there is no exposure value on the screen whether in Av mode I could see a exposure meter which I can change it accordingly. I know I maybe sounding strange.

So to put it in a simple way:
I am using the Canon 760D with 18-135mm canon lens and shooting in a bright daylight. I wanted a cinematic look so I set the frame rate to 24fps, set the picture style to a flat looking picture style, set the mode to manual mode, change the shutter speed to 1/50 of a sec, set the ISO to 100 (shooting in bright day light). I wanted a shallow depth of field so I set the aperture value to 3.5 (can't go lower on this lens). Now here is my problem, the shot gets massively overexposed and I know why! So how to set and lock the exposure in Canon 760D? HELP ME!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: How to shoot in Manual Mode in Canon 760D?
on Oct 4, 2015 at 3:40:26 pm

As you know there is too much light hitting the sensor so you have a few options. Besides using a more shut down f-stop (but yes, losing the shallow depth of field I know you want) you can:

1. move yourself to an area that isn't so bright

2. If shooting a person or an object outside, diminish the light using a silk or other light diffusion material (typically held up with one more stands and housed in a frame) - not practical in all situations

OR

3. The easiest solution is to get yourself a variable ND to place in front of the lens. It's job is to reduce the light by as much as 8 stops - this is what I do

Also you should get yourself an LCD loupe so that you can actually see the screen when filming outdoors on bright days - you can't easily use the touch screen functions but everything is a tradeoff

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]