FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do all mirrorless/DSLR cameras stop video recording after a relatively short time?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Durbrow
Do all mirrorless/DSLR cameras stop video recording after a relatively short time?
on Sep 30, 2015 at 9:57:45 pm

I'm not sure of the appropriate forum to ask my question in. I hope it is alright here.

I’ve been using a Sanyo HD1010 and Panasonic HX-WA20 for recording my videos. The Panasonic stopped being able to take still pictures a few months ago, but still takes video okay. The Sanyo seems to have died for video and pictures recently. I thought I would try to up my game by buying a camera that can do 1080 x 1920 at 60p. Both my cameras do/did only 60i. I enjoy taking stills and I have no way to do that now, so I thought I would buy a still camera that can also take video. Taking stills with those video cameras was very limited.

I have found only one camera that can fulfill my criteria in my price range (around $500) and that is the Nikon 1 J5. My top priority is to take music videos of myself. Therefore, being able to see myself in frame is crucial - 180º flip screen. I need English in the menus and that eliminates all Sony and Panasonic here in Japan. So I was all set to buy the Nikon 1 J5 and downloaded the manual. I noticed it said that the video will stop after 10 minutes recording at 60p.

My question is: Is this relatively short recording true of all still cameras? Is this a hopeless quest? My HX-WA20 seems to have a limit of around 4.2GB for movies but it immediately starts recording another file. The last frame has no audio and the beginning of the next clip has no audio so there is an audible glitch. However, If I’m on the ball, I’ll record audio with a portable recorder if it is live and with proper studio mics if it is in my audio studio. The video clips can be put together seamlessly with no dropped frames. Do any still cameras automatically continue to record video after the maximum file size is reached?

Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
http://www.youtube.com/user/edurbrow?feature=watch

E D
Saitama, Japan

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Do all mirrorless/DSLR cameras stop video recording after a relatively short time?
on Oct 3, 2015 at 12:34:44 pm

I believe the Panasonic Lumix DMC‑GH2 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds will be your best bet at a budget of $500. Panasonic has unlimited recording time (up to the capacity of the card that is) and if you want English menus then you have to buy an American version online on a site like Amazon or B&H.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Ed Durbrow
Re: Do all mirrorless/DSLR cameras stop video recording after a relatively short time?
on Oct 3, 2015 at 2:09:13 pm

Thank you.
That looks like a terrific camera. It has been discontinued, so I would have to check around. I'm a little nervous about buying something like that on Ebay and trying to have it shipped to Japan. Panasonic (and Sony) do not sell cameras with English in Japan. My friend is in England for a trip at the moment and he could buy one there for me, but I think that would be dependent on if he can get it tax free.

Do you happen to know if the screen tilts 180º? That is a must for me.

E D
Saitama, Japan

Return to posts index

Ed Durbrow
on Oct 5, 2015 at 12:49:46 am

Do you know of any other mirrorless cameras that have unlimited video recording time?
Thank you.

E D
Saitama, Japan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]