FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for a beginners camera to film my travels. What should I buy?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Banes
Looking for a beginners camera to film my travels. What should I buy?
on Sep 24, 2015 at 9:46:03 am

I'm going to Europe next month and I'm wondering what's the best camera to use. I'm still a newbie. Any suggestions like brand, model, and price?

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Looking for a beginners camera to film my travels. What should I buy?
on Sep 24, 2015 at 3:21:57 pm

What is your budget?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Sep 25, 2015 at 4:20:08 am
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Sep 25, 2015 at 6:31:42 am

The Nikon Coolpix A is an interesting starter camera. DX sensor format, Prime 18mm(28MM Full Frame 35mm) 2.8 lens, NEF RAW support, and 1080p video. Down side is prime lens is a prime lens.

Nikon P900 has that insane zoom for versatility.

Return to posts index

Richard Banes
on Sep 25, 2015 at 9:36:25 am

$2000 is that enough to buy good quality camera for travels only? I really appreciate your help bro :)

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Sep 26, 2015 at 3:16:49 pm

If you are a newby I would get a regular videocamera for traveling.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Sep 27, 2015 at 8:18:19 am
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Sep 27, 2015 at 8:34:24 am

$2000 will buy either of the cameras I mentioned above. If you want a DSLR that shoots video, and then can switch modes and shoot stills, a video camera will not work.

"Video cameras" are setup ergonomically for the things you do most in video shooting. Video cameras will generally have better sound recording built in too.

DSLRs are setup with controls that make most sense for shooting stills. Video controls on DLSRs are generally treated as a second cousin to the Still mode. Audio on DSLRs is generally pretty bad and so people use a second recorder to make up for this.

So it depends on which you plan on doing more of Video or stills on your trips.

DSLR for less than $2000 new, you could go ebay for different used pro rigs, I would look at the Panasonic GH4, Sony a7, or the devices above in descending order. Any of the DSLRs will shoot auto modes for beginners. The GH4 has functionality to grow into. The simpler cameras above have less pro features but are smaller, and less prone to theft. Nikon vs Canon vs Sony Vs Panasonic, you pretty much need to pick your religion. Lens mounts are generally the difference between them, but there are converters to use a lens from a different maker. The advanced modes and auto focus generally go out the window when converters are deployed.

Video Camera less than $2000 - Black Magic pocket cinema series with a lot of storage and a good lens. This is an advanced to intermediate DSLR type video camera. It will take some quick study, but your video out the other end of posting it will be much better than a standard DSLR video. Still would need to be grabbed from raw video frames via short video bursts.

Sony FDR-AX100 is pretty much your typical Sony "handycam" with todays 4k video specifications. The lens and sensor are nice, as well as the 8-bit 4k video from it. I believe it even has a 5 channel surround mic on top.

One other thing to keep in mind is, some places will not allow a full on Pro DSLR to be brought inside. So a tourist form factor like the Nikon A or Sony AX-100 are less threating and can often times get pass security checks at clubs and museums.

Looking back to the "day" my Panasonic DVX100 was rejected by security in front of Mans Chinese Theater in Hollywood as being to professional to shoot with. Of course we were shooting a short film at the time, posing as tourists.

More recently my old Nikon D5100 was rejected by club security in Las Vegas only a month ago.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]