FORUMS: list search recent posts

Microphone for DSLR video interview shoot on a budget - Need advice

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jakub Frączek
Microphone for DSLR video interview shoot on a budget - Need advice
on Sep 6, 2015 at 10:48:08 am

Hello all kind users,

I'm a young amateur that is shooting a promo video for my school. Me and a few of my friends have planned out the whole shoot yet we are struggling with one aspect: audio recording for teacher and student interviews.

Each person's interview in the video will be shot separately so I dont need multiple mics. The point is, every microphone I have researched, being for example the Rode VideoMic / VideoMic Pro, I noticed a hiss in them due to the preamp in the DSLR. I'm on a budget (no money from the school) so I cannot spend over 250 dollars on the microphone.
I guess a combo of a microphone and an external audio recorder like the Zoom H1 would solve the hiss. Otherwise I could go for lavaliers.

Any help, advice or recommendations are welcome and greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Jakub F

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: Microphone for DSLR video interview shoot on a budget - Need advice
on Sep 6, 2015 at 3:22:55 pm

Hi Jakub - you can save yourself some money with a $23.99 Omnidirectional Lavalier for your smartphone.

You can clip this lav to your subject, plug the mic into your iOS or Android phone, put the phone in the subject's pocket, record to a free app (e.g. Rode Rec LE for iOS, Smart Voice Recorder for Android or Skyro Voice Recorder for Android) and sync your sound in post.

Here is how a lav/phone combo works (example is for the Rode SmartLav, but it makes the point for the entire lav/phone category):

This is a little more work, but costs less than buying a Zoom H1 - and will give you much higher quality sound than plugging a mic directly into your DSLR.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your interviews!

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Microphone for DSLR video interview shoot on a budget - Need advice
on Sep 14, 2015 at 4:18:31 am

I would get an H1 or H4, the H4 gives more options down the road for corded mics or mixer input.

Also get the troll hair wind screen in a neutral color, black preferably.

Then get a shock mount adapter that will allow for connecting to a Boom Pole. Have someone Boom your shots or interview just out of frame with the H1 mounted as the boom mic. Put a safety strap on your H1 or H4 in this mode, to keep your Boom Op from dropping your recorder out of the shock mount. You also will not have LAV mics in your frame. With the H1 or H4 mics in 90 degree mode, your sound will be rich and in stereo. If you really need a Lav for noise issues, the H4N will allow XLR grounded cabling, and connection to an Sony ECM-44B Lav. ECM-44B has great sound and much less than wireless lavs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]