FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony a7s, Black Magic 4k, Canon c300 or something entirely different. Share your knowledge and experience.

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas Ahston
Sony a7s, Black Magic 4k, Canon c300 or something entirely different. Share your knowledge and experience.
on Sep 5, 2015 at 12:23:31 pm

So I've began the long research-process towards getting a new camera, and I'd love to get some input and advice from other videographers on what to get in this rapidly changing marked of videocameras. Pricerange $1500-$4500

Here is where I'm coming from.
I have a Nikon D7100 (DX censor) and I have collected a serie of old nikkor primes, that I would like to keep using with the new camera. I recently used the sony a7s for a project (with my nikkor primes) and I really liked the picture, but I found the rolling shutter effect unbearable, since I like to move around quite a bit. So unless this get fixed in the next generation, I'm doubtful that it will live up to my expectations. So how about the canon c100 markII or something from blackmagic or maybe something else.

I do a lot of handheld stuff, so a minimal rolling shutter is important to me. A good dynamic range and small/flexible camerasize are important criteria too.

What would you get, and why?

Thanks for reading.

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: Sony a7s, Black Magic 4k, Canon c300 or something entirely different. Share your knowledge and experience.
on Sep 6, 2015 at 3:05:43 pm

Hi Andreas - I am a GH4/BMPCC shooter, but with a $4500 budget, I would recommend the $3198 Sony A7r II.

With internal 4K, S-LOG, 5-axis in-body stabilization, higher still image resolution and a moire-free APS-C mode it is a much better still/video hybrid camera than the A7s or the GH4.

Here is what this camera can do:

- 這是一個小世界 - IT'S A SMALL WORLD by Filippo Chiesa (with the Sony RX100 IV)

- Working day in the mountains with Slovenian Army Cougar AS AL 532 by Uros P... (first video ever shot by this photographer - all handheld with 5-axis stabilization)

- a7R II Busker handheld ungraded by Dan Chung

In my view, this is the best camera for stills and video in this price range and a much better handheld camera than the A7s.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your upgrade!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Andreas Ahston
Re: Sony a7s, Black Magic 4k, Canon c300 or something entirely different. Share your knowledge and experience.
on Sep 6, 2015 at 6:48:45 pm

Thank you Bill, for sharing your insight.

The in-body stabilization sounds like it might solve some of the rolling shutter that plagues the sony alpha series. I'm wondering though, if these advantages of the a7r II might be included in the a7s II if and when that arrives. What do you think?

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Sep 7, 2015 at 5:38:44 pm

It's here and apparently it overheats in 4K mode. (A7R II).

Sony is hinting that a camera is coming out that would fit between the FS700 and the FS7. I'm hoping it is an A7R II clone in a larger body with proper heat sinks & XLR inputs.....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]