FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7D vs. Sony a7r

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Mills
Canon 7D vs. Sony a7r
on Aug 13, 2015 at 7:22:47 pm

So, I've been shooting video on a Canon 7D for a few years. Now I have an opportunity to buy a used Sony a7r, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to make the switch.

I typically shoot more run-and-gun, handheld style, or on a travel tripod. But I also do some more small-scale productions with tripods and sliders. I edit in Premiere/AE and grade with Looks.

While I know the still image quality of the Sony a7r is incredible, I've read mixed reviews about its video capabilities. Does anyone know how it stacks up against the old Canon 7D? Would it be a significant upgrade, or not so much?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Canon 7D vs. Sony a7r
on Aug 13, 2015 at 9:25:47 pm

The A7s is the Sony camera you want. The A7r, not so much.

It will be a major improvement over the 7D regardless, because the 7D is really old. But the A7s is better for video than the A7r. That's where I'd invest my money if I were you.

Don't forget that you'll need an adapter for your Canon glass--that will add cost.

Return to posts index

Matt Mills
on Aug 13, 2015 at 9:37:40 pm

Hi Blaise, thanks so much for the response.

I agree; I'd much rather get the a7s. The thing is, it's waaay out of my pricerange. The a7r is out of my pricerange, too, but someone I know offered to sell me his for $800 (he wants to upgrade to the a7r II). He only does still photography, though.

So, are you saying that the a7r would indeed be a major improvement over the Canon 7D? Obviously, it's not the ideal choice, but right now it's my only choice haha.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Aug 13, 2015 at 11:01:53 pm

I've learned not to buy "intermediate" gear. That $800 could be spent on a lot of things that you can keep using long after any camera body--lenses, camera support, audio. Buy those things first, and then, when you've made money from those, get the camera body you really want.

Will the video quality be better? Yes. Would you rather have another camera? Then don't buy it, and save up for the one you really want!

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Aug 18, 2015 at 11:15:53 am

I recommend you jump on it. $800 is a great price for a full frame camera with a headphone jack and 1080/60p slow motion that can give you results like these:

Koco Blaq 2015 Fashion Line by Joe Gunawan

Iran by Memorias de Oriente

Year One by David DiCicco

If you don't like it, you can always sell it for a couple of hundred dollars more than you bought it for and buy a camera with 4 times your 7D's resolution, the $797.99 4K Panasonic G7.

This camera can give you results like these:

Indianapolis 500 In 4k by Bonocore Visual Studios

Away from the City by Irfan Khokhar

Pasa Tiempo behind the scenes - in 4K shot with a panasonic G7 and Ronin M ...

Either of these $800 choices would be an upgrade from your 7D.

Hope this is helpful and good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]