FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas Pro changing video color

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Bialik
Vegas Pro changing video color
on Aug 8, 2015 at 6:19:26 am

Hi! New member here! Thanks for having me!

I just have a quick, simple question...at least I HOPE it's quick and simple. lol

Would someone be able to help me figure out why this is happening? For some reason, Sony Vegas Pro adds this strange orange-ish, red-ish, super goofy contrast-y effect to all my videos and I've been unable to figure out why. No effects, no processing, no nothing...as soon as the clip touches the software, it looks weird. (Ignore the focus in the below examples...I know it's jacked up...)

This is what raw clip looks like:

(link is external)

This is what the same exact raw clip looks like as part of the project...skip to 20 seconds in:

(link is external)

Can anyone shed some light on why? I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Brent Bialik
Re: Vegas Pro changing video color
on Sep 3, 2015 at 7:25:30 pm

So, I stumbled across the solution today and I will post it here in the hopes that, should anyone else come across this issue, this will help.

In the project properties menu, "View Transform" is set to "ACES RRT (sRGB)" by default on my install. I don't know why (or even what this is...), but setting this to "Off" and clicking "Apply" fixed it.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Vegas Pro changing video color
on Sep 14, 2015 at 4:32:42 am

That ACES RRT SRGB is only available in 32-bit Full Level mode. Unless you are editing RED, ARRI, Blackmagic Cinema, Sony F-series, you would need to apply the 2.22 gamma as well to your setting. Otherwise shift to 8-bit mode or 32-bit video levels will keep you from screwing up your source levels. 32-bit video levels stays inside the rec709 color space, but processes with 32-bit FP accuracy.

Pretty much the only reason to edit in 32-bit mode is if your source footage was shot in a 10-bit or better codec. If you are shooting with a standard AVCHD camera or DSLR then stay in 8-bit mode. AVCHD is pretty basic 8-bit video and processing in 32-bit mode is pretty much adding extra math for very minor returns. Even the newer low cost 4K camcorders and DSLRs are shooting 8-bit 4K.

You only really need to work in 32-bit Full levels when you are working with footage that has been encoded with a linear gamma, or you are attempting to Color correct in the ACES color space. Hence the ACES RTT sRGB transform setting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]