FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on monitor for video editing...

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rony Sokolov
Advice on monitor for video editing...
on Jul 24, 2015 at 9:22:01 am

Hi,
I've done some research but not sure I understood entirely, so would very much appreciate your advice here. I'm looking to buy an external monitor for my Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2012. I'm doing video-art and my projects are to be exhibited in museums/galleries/dedicated film festivals (so not mainly for the web). And obviously, when editing I want to be as close as possible to seeing the footage the way it's going to be screened.

[1]
For my budget, I thought to buy a monitor in the mid-high consumer range. If I got it right, I should be looking for a monitor that can be calibrated (or even better, is pre-calibrated by the manufacture). Currently I'm considering Viewsonic VP-2770 or VP2772.
http://www.viewsonic.com/us/monitors/professional-vp-series/vp2770-led.html
http://www.viewsonic.com/us/monitors/professional-vp-series/vp2772.html

I've done some reading about sRGB vs. Adobe RGB, and I guess these two monitors reflect the difference between the two (although you can switch to sRGB in VP2772 as well). If I got it right, video is done in sRGB, but with a change of gamma. Do I gain anything by buying a more expansive Adobe RGB monitor?

[2]
Another source of confusion for me is the actual shooting. Many sources online suggest that you should choose the color space before shooting, i.e. change your settings in your DSLR accordingly. I'm shooting video most of the time with Sony a7s. And Sony's color space - at least their terminology - has the following options: Movie, Cinema, ITU709, S-Gamut. Should I try to match between the Sony's color and the monitor? (like they advise on sRGB and Adobe RGB). And if it claims to have a 14-bit am I not loosing something when working on an 8-bit monitor? I'm not sure I got it right.

Thanks a lot for your time here! Hope to clear up this confusion :-)

Macbook Pro 10.9.5, 2.6GHz Intel Core i7.
Final Cut Pro 7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]