FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D Color handling individual clips

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lux Video Production
5D Color handling individual clips
on Jul 20, 2015 at 12:30:28 pm

Hi there cow users,

I'd like to have your opinion on this type of workflow.

I'm shooting with a canon 5D, pretty much full day shoots. Then I want to scan through my footage, color correct it and cut it if need be, then save it to send to the client...

I would ideally like to do this similar to photo editing with lightroom, meaning not going through an editing system, creating a timeline for each clip then exporting..

I'm using the full adobe suite, blackmagic DaVinci and Avid...

any help on a workflow, or a software that can do that would be greatly appreciated...

(BTW, I'm on PC :) )

cheers!

Marc.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: 5D Color handling individual clips
on Jul 20, 2015 at 3:35:08 pm

Im 80 percent sure lightroom can import video
clips

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Lux Video Production
on Jul 21, 2015 at 4:05:03 am

Hi Steve, thx for the tip, I tried it, it does indeed import the video, but that's about it :( .. very little control over CC and no cutting...

thx anyways.

Marc.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 21, 2015 at 6:24:38 pm

Ok, I thought you could apply standard Lightroom "preset looks" to video files but I could be wrong, so next I would do some research into the tools use by DIT Technicians on movie sets who often do simple edits and color grade clips right on set.

One such tool I found is a free player/grader app called Assimilate Scratch which you can read about here:

http://www.assimilateinc.com/products/scratch-play

but I've only "scratched" the surface, so do some research and let us know what you find, it's an interesting problem.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Lux Video Production
on Jul 21, 2015 at 8:47:34 pm
Last Edited By Lux Video Production on Jul 21, 2015 at 9:40:44 pm

I looked into assimilate scratch, but it's really a high quality player, with color control and in/out points.. there doesn't seem to be anything to batch save or batch export the clips..

Sooo.. I went on youtube and searched for lightroom type software for video.. And Lightroom did come up.. and found some interesting tutorials on how to edit video with Lightroom...

It is indeed a pretty good cutter and color corrector. you can create a still from your video, color correct it in develop mode and apply the preset to your video... The only weird thing is that Highlight and shadow controls and not available??? but pretty much anything else that you'd use to make basic color correction is available..

I'll give it a shot..

thx for your help... If anything better is out there, I'm still willing to take a shot at it!

cheers!

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jul 22, 2015 at 11:13:36 pm

Have you looked at Sony Ci and Sony Catalyst Prepare or Edit. What you are asking for is sort of the market that Sony is attempting to fill with these products.

Return to posts index

Lux Video Production
on Jul 23, 2015 at 7:43:30 pm

THAT'S IT!!! Wow, what a great software...

does exactly what I needed..

Thank you both for your help..

cheers!

Marc.

Return to posts index

Tommy David
on Jul 24, 2015 at 2:59:00 pm

Lightroom takes too long with video. The new Premiere Pro 2015, (update if you are still on 2014,) has the lumetri color panel built in. They made it to look like lightroom. It has the lightroom sliders but for video in the first panel. Then under that you have more sliders in the creative panel, then you have curves, just like in lightroom in the panel, and then you have color wheels. You also have two places to choose a LUT and there are a lot of good stock ones.

You can do this quick. I can't imagine any faster way to do it. You could save a presets of color grades you would generally use. For example, I have a style that I use most all of the time but each video has to be tweaked differently. But if I want that blue look I have a blue ready to go if I want that warm california look I have that ready to go. I do not save it in presets though because every video is different. However, because the panel looks just like Lightroom, I can do it extremely fast.

Return to posts index

Lux Video Production
on Jul 24, 2015 at 4:53:29 pm
Last Edited By Lux Video Production on Jul 24, 2015 at 4:58:43 pm

Hi Tommy,

unless there is something I don't quite understand in the workflow, your method seems to me like a long process.. You still need to create a timeline for each clip so you can pre-cut them, add the lumetri look and setting you want then export .. You can't batch export clips with in/out point, only sequences.. which to me is a longer process than what Sony's software offers...

The main thing here is I'm not going to do the editing, so, on the fly I need to be able to cut the "crap" out, color correct it and export it on a drive so my client can leave at the end of the day with the footage.. And I don't want to give him the full raw footage without cleaning it first...

If you have a way to make it work like lightroom inside premiere, than yes, that interests me as I do have the 2015 version, so of course not having to buy another software if I don't have to is a good thing :)

thx

MP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]