FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using iPad as DSLR monitor

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Campbell
Using iPad as DSLR monitor
on Jul 6, 2015 at 9:15:32 pm

Anyone have any experience with using the Chainfire app for an iPad, to use it as a realtime monitor while shooting with a Canon T5i (or similar)? Curious how well it works, cuz that little monitor screen on the camera is tiny! Perhaps there are other apps out there that work well?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Using iPad as DSLR monitor
on Jul 6, 2015 at 11:57:25 pm

No experience with that but you might want to check out CamRanger at http://camranger.com/ - it's the system I've seen most often reviewed online. Seems to work well from what I can tell from the reviews but I've never used it myself.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Paul Campbell
on Jul 7, 2015 at 12:32:36 pm

Steve, any recommendations for a great external monitor for a Canon? I tried using the video output to an extenal 17" LCD monitor (standard pc monitor) and it looked awful. Totally low res and not usable for pulling focus. Maybe there's a 5" monitor or something that clips onto the hotshoe? Time to start searching :-)

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 7, 2015 at 4:03:20 pm

Hey Paul,

I don't have any specific recommendations, the monitor landscape is growing by leaps and bounds. There are companies like:

Marshall
Small HD
Aputure
Lilliput

and then you have companies like Atmos and Convergent Design making monitors that do double duty as external recorders as well and which can record 4K if you give it a 4K source. Black Magic has a new monitor/recorder combo that records up to 1080p.

I'd also look carefully and the software that comes with it which gives you features like focus assist and scopes which are very very nice to have.

So I'd say start scrolling through your options here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_POPULARITY%7c1&ci=1984&setNs=p_PO...

and good luck.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Paul Campbell
on Jul 7, 2015 at 9:36:12 pm

Thanks. I appreciate your insight. I've been scarfing up a lot of info on this particular forum. My next post will no doubt be right around the corner :-)

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 7, 2015 at 9:53:59 pm

No worries Paul. Since you are into this stuff, check out my free Flipboard magazine which now has over a thousand curated articles on filming video with DSLRs (there are plenty on monitors too):

https://flipboard.com/section/hd-dslr-filmmaking-byqgog

(or search for HD DSLR Filmmaking on the Flipboard app if you happen to have it installed)

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Paul Campbell
on Jul 7, 2015 at 10:28:06 pm

Cool! You'll forgive my latest post then, as you no doubt cover it in your articles :-)

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 7, 2015 at 10:54:48 pm

Oh, I didn't write the articles, only collect them into a single spot.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jul 8, 2015 at 6:58:48 pm

Manfrotto has their digital director that comes with tripod mounting hardware.

http://www.manfrotto.us/

The thing about the ipad I would think is light falling on the screen, and issues with using it outdoors.

A Zacuto Z-finder, or the new Zacuto EVF would be a more versatile setup for indoor and outdoor settings.

Return to posts index

Paul Campbell
on Jul 9, 2015 at 12:40:25 am

Thanks, Aaron. I was planning on making flaps for the iPad if indeed this idea came to fruition, but alas it wasn't meant to be. No worries, plenty of options out there. Stay cool.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jul 10, 2015 at 8:00:36 pm

What I would recommend is making more like a box tube, and cutting it at an angel of about 20-30 degrees. Use flat black foam core, and make the tube long enough so the screen will reflect against the side of the tube. This will give you a reflection free view of screen. Looking straight on with flaps, and you will just see the sky or daylight bright background behind you.

I made something similar to tape on my DSLR viewfinder, so I could see it in daylight better.

Return to posts index

Tommy David
on Jul 24, 2015 at 3:03:29 pm

I have two monitors, a 100 dollar lilliput and a 900 dollar Manhattan monitor. The lilliput is my preference. The expensive monitor has higher resolution but it's heavier and you can't see it from all angles. You have to be starring right in front of it. The cheaper monitors like the lilliput use Canon or Sony batteries so you can get a bunch of off brand ones for cheap and the monitor weighs hardly nothing. The resolution isn't as high but you don't really need it to be over 1080p on a small screen like that. My lilliput isn't even 1080p, I forget what it is, but I can pull focus and see everything very clearly.

Return to posts index

Paul Campbell
on Jul 24, 2015 at 3:39:45 pm

Thanks, Tommy. I'll look into the Lilliput. What size are you using? If it really weighs that little, I'll rig up an adapter to hang it off to the side of the camera.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]