FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio output on canon 700d

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evelien van Raaij
Audio output on canon 700d
on Jul 5, 2015 at 10:42:20 am

Hello people,

I've recently bought a canon 700d. I'm really happy with it, but the only problem is, it has nog audio output. So I cannot listen to the audio while I'm recording.

I recorded an event last week, but when I got home, the audio was completely ruined by distortion.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem? I'd really like to hear what I'm recording...
The 700D does have an AV-out, but it's an mini-hdmi, it also has a normal hdmi output. I've been searching the web for a converter.. anyone a suggestion for me?

Thnx in advance!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Audio output on canon 700d
on Jul 5, 2015 at 6:53:34 pm

Hello Evelien,

The company you want to check out is called Sescom, they make a variety of cables for just this purpose. I bought their

"Sescom SEL2MZH4N25D LN2MIC-ZMH4-MON Line Out to Camera Mic In Headphone Tap Cable"

off of Amazon which has a similar purpose. This particular cable is designed to connect the output of a Zoom H4N or similar external audio recorder to the Canon's microphone output while ALSO allowing you to monitor the sound. The one you need is an even more basic version if all you want to do is to add an extra jack so that you can plug in headphones.

I know this experience is painful for you but it was a great lesson too. I ALWAYS monitor my sound in some form for exactly the reason you mentioned. I think something like the following Sescom cable could be just the ticket for you:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749719-REG/Sescom_DSLR_5DMKII_HOCF_Ca...

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Evelien van Raaij
on Jul 6, 2015 at 8:34:09 am

Thank you Steve, for replying.

But how do I use this cable when i'm also recording from an external mic?

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Jul 6, 2015 at 1:16:09 pm
Last Edited By Bill Bruner on Jul 6, 2015 at 1:16:52 pm

Pretty sure the cable Steve linked you to is for the 5D. This is an easy mistake to make.

For Rebels, you will need to modify your camera with free Magic Lantern Firmware (the T5i/700d download is here).

When that's done, you can plug the Sescom DSLR-550D-HOCF A/V Out Headphone Monitoring Cable ($44.95 in the US, about £40.50 via eBay UK) into your A/V port and monitor what you are recording to your camera's soundtrack.

Hope this is helpful and good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 6, 2015 at 2:43:42 pm

Hey Bill, actually I still film with the Rebel T2i and I use the first cable I mentioned:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750963-REG/Sescom_LN2MIC_ZMH4_MON_3_5...

so I don't have to run Magic Lantern at all since I don't go through the AV or USB port to monitor with this particular cable, it's really neat.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 6, 2015 at 2:39:55 pm

If you are using an external mic then buy the same cable as the one I have, the first one I mentioned:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750963-REG/Sescom_LN2MIC_ZMH4_MON_3_5...

So I plug my external mic's (a Zoom H4N in my case) output to one end of the cable and then plug the other end into the camera's mic input (like the one I have on my Canon T2i.) That leaves the third connection to connect your headphones to.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Robert Fitzsimmons
on May 14, 2016 at 12:48:12 pm

I also have the 700D. To use headphone for sound I plug the camera into my computer and then use the Canon EOS Utility to record in live view. My laptop becomes my monitor and I can use headphones to hear live sound by just plugging into my laptop.
There are also Clip-on Color LCD Monitors that have earphone jacks..
Hope this helps...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]