FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR Shooting Rigs are more expensive than DSLR Cameras

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerardo Diwa
DSLR Shooting Rigs are more expensive than DSLR Cameras
on Apr 21, 2010 at 4:16:59 am

Further into my research on using DSLR cameras for professional video production, you know, those dramatic shots with movements; slides, pull-in, pull-out, focus control... I stumbled upon DSLR shooting kits from Zacuto, Brevis, RedrockMicro and boy, in most cases their kits cost a whole lot more than the DSLR itself.

So the question begs to be asked, why not just get a dedicated video camcorder and a 35mm adaptor. The Panasonix HVX300A or HPX170 with Brevis Cinevate 35 will total $4k vs a 7d + DSLR kits which will also total at least $4k.

But with the recent announcement of Panasonic's AG-AF100 pro videographers might drop the DSLR for video and get back to a real camcorder with the large sensors found on DSLR cameras.

Ah, purchasing equipment is always a risk and a gamble. What are your thoughts on this?

My creative outlets:
* Audio Engineering, Music Production, Editing, Recording @ http://www.Sound-Weavers.com
* Photography at http://flickr.com/islandman

Return to posts index

Nakul Sood
Re: DSLR Shooting Rigs are more expensive than DSLR Cameras
on Apr 21, 2010 at 6:18:16 am

Hang in there, I'm making a range of products for DSLRs Will be downright cheap in caoparison to the Redrock/Zacutos

I'm making about 15-16 things, should be ready to post in 2-3 weeks.

3 hand grips, 2 body mounts, a magnifier, rails, follow focus, LCD mount. As well as Phantom powered box for taking in XLR mics, a special stereo microphone, a slider, and a few others.

Only thing I'm not making is the Matte box.

Keep an eye out for these will post when I'm ready to show.

You can write me at nakul610@gmail.com

All the best,
Nakul

New Devices for Audio and Video recording
http://www.embracevideo.com
http://www.oomagamma.com

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Apr 21, 2010 at 12:44:20 pm

Shallow depth of field and interchangeable lenses that don't break the bank are the cornerstones of HD-DSLR's.

True most of the add on equipment for rigs etc are expensive, mainly because they are being produced by old school movie supply companies.

As the DSLR has changed the industry from a cost quality perspective, some of these suppliers are still not getting it. There is a huge demand from budget conscious entry level DSLR shooters.

Here is a company that is producing some very cost effective products: http://indisystem.com/

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 21, 2010 at 2:25:03 pm

Couple of years ago a basic Panasonic HVX200 package with a couple of P2 cards could cost you $10K. So is $4K for a nice HDSLR rig that creates mindblowing footage really that bad? It's never going to be free and if you have a nice business going this should be considered a business investment.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Apr 21, 2010 at 2:42:14 pm

Are you "handy"? Do you own some tools? If so, you could probably make a lot of this stuff yourself. There's plenty of metal bar, rod & plate stock available on eBay. You can also find the various fittings there. Plus, companies like Manfrotto market adapters, plates, quick releases, bushings, etc via your local camera store.

If that's too much & there's a good machine shop in your area, you could probably design something and have them make it for around the same cost as Zacuto's stuff.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Noah Kadner
on Apr 21, 2010 at 3:43:21 pm

I could see that if you're incredibly handy with tools and it's for shooting your own projects. But showing up with a DIY rig for a paying gig can be a quick way to never get hired again. Most clients like to see high-end rigs and tools in action which helps to put them at ease that they are working with pros, not folks at the bottom end of the budget barrel. Well that's my $.02 anyways... :-)

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

John Major
on Apr 21, 2010 at 4:24:18 pm

I have to agree with Noah. I'm all for saving a few bucks when you can, but as others have stated, if this is your business, these are your tools. Professional tools help bring professional results. The bigger thing to keep in mind is that while you're tinkering with making your own rigs, you could be actually working and making your full hourly or day rates. I don't know about anyone else, but my rates are much higher then what the guy working at the local machine shop makes. 25 years of experience in the industry tells me it never pays in the end to make your own gear. Especially when you factor in the value of your own time.

And that's my 2 cents! :)

~John

Return to posts index

Clayton Moore
on Apr 22, 2010 at 8:33:10 pm

Noah's point about appearances is a valid point. The market however can be complex. There was a time (pre digital) when high quality content creation was something only someone who was capitalized quite well could do. I can see its hard for manufactures of Rig hardware to market their product as simple, easy to use -- while at the same time price it in a way that seems a bit high. Trust me if the market for this stuff was as huge as iPhone, the price would drop like a stone as more and more fabrication came from Asia. But it is what it is, so shop around and get what you can afford. One things for sure, if you pay top dollar for it, you will get good service, and it will last and work very well for you. Noah is right no the money, if how you look to clients is important, it not, hit home depot and have a ball :-)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 22, 2010 at 9:47:33 pm

Yeah the prices will come down as volume climbs. I can tell ya the Zacuto gear is top-notch and you'd really have a tough time creating something anywhere near their quality on your own. Well maybe if you're the guys on Mythbusters...

Noah

Return to posts index

Gerardo Diwa
on Apr 23, 2010 at 12:25:07 am

Noah has a valid point there. DIY rigs just scream unprofessional. Just like how cellphone cameras can take nice photos now, imagine if you got hired as a photographer at a wedding and used your cellphone camera, lol!

My creative outlets:
* Audio Engineering, Music Production, Editing, Recording @ http://www.Sound-Weavers.com
* Photography at http://flickr.com/islandman

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 3, 2010 at 7:41:13 pm

I actually know someone who shot a wedding using nothing but his cell phone. This was arranged ahead of time and I don't know how much he charged, but he did this to make a point. It's about the story. He wanted to prove that he could produce an amazing video with minimal technology. It actually turned out to be an incredible piece.

Of course, try telling you client you charged 10 Grand that this is how it's done! He didn't do it ever again. It was just to prove a point.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1, V1U
Cannon 5D Mark II
Cannon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
w/ Adobe CS-4 Production Suite, After Effects
& CS-5 Production Suite. Window's 7

Manfrotto Tripod's & Heads

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 3, 2010 at 7:44:12 pm

I have a degree in Industrial Arts. I keep telling myself I'm going to make some custom gear....6 months later, I've purchased someone else's sweat labor. Maybe after I retire, I can break out the old tools and start making the big bucks charging you guys a bunch of money.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1, V1U
Cannon 5D Mark II
Cannon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
w/ Adobe CS-4 Production Suite, After Effects
& CS-5 Production Suite. Window's 7

Manfrotto Tripod's & Heads

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Krepner
on May 11, 2010 at 5:14:18 pm

First time chiming in on this particular COW forum, but to speak to the original poster--yes, it is worth it and here is why (or at least my thoughts as to why I jumped in.)

I bought a T2i instead of 7D or 5D though I could have afforded the higher priced models. My thinking is that all of this HDSLR stuff is happening so fast, my goal is going to be to buy quality support gear that will work with the next round of HDSLR or video cameras with full frame sensors (the new Panny and Sony or RED, etc.) without over buying on the camera portion today. I'd rather have $5K wrapped up in glass, quality shoulder rig, filters, etc, instead of spending $5k on a all in one camera that doesn't carry over next year when something better comes out.

I bought a wonderful Cavision rig with follow focus, LCD swing away hood, and nice Zeiss (Nikon mount for full manual aperture ring) lenses. The camera only cost $900. Next year when the Nikon/Canon/Sony/Panny/Red full frame body with full manual controls, XLR ins, proper viewfinder, camera is released I should be able to transfer all of my existing gear to the new body and only be stuck with a super nice little DSLR camera as a B-Cam.

The cavision rig is $850, btw, so you don't have to spend nearly $2K on other products to get what you want.

Good luck!
Jeff

Return to posts index

Clayton Moore
on Jun 18, 2010 at 1:35:23 pm

Of course the Can-O-Worms that you can open is the market in general.
Who is working now, how are they doing. What are companies willing to pay for video work. It wont matter how pro your stuff looks of course if the "current market" wont sustain paying for a big ticket rig.

If your in LA, or SF, or NYC, or Chicago a similar large market then any competitive edge you have is very good. After that it really comes down to how well your stuff works. How smooth and light and durable.
How much do your muscles ache at the end of the day .... LOL !!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]