FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I read the metadata of a video file shot on a Sony a7S?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juan Mora Baquero
How do I read the metadata of a video file shot on a Sony a7S?
on Jun 18, 2015 at 11:07:33 pm

Hi,
I just recently acquired the Sony a7S and I'm more than glad with its performance. The problem I'm having is that I can't find a way to read the metadata (ISO and capture gamma is what I'm mostly looking after) of the mp4 files that the camera creates when shooting on its XAVCs format.
I shot a couple of videos using two different picture profiles (one with the s-Log2 gamma and the other with the Cine2 gamma), but due to the documentary nature of the project, I couldn't keep a proper log of my shots and now I'm not sure which clip was shot using which Picture Profile. I need to be able to properly discern between the two different Picture Profiles for the color grading.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Juan.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: How do I read the metadata of a video file shot on a Sony a7S?
on Jun 23, 2015 at 4:51:49 pm

Have you tried looking at a clip in Adobe Bridge? If you right click the clip in Bridge, you will see File Info (or use File/File Info in the UI). This is where you access the metadata. I don't know for sure whether Bridge supports that particular format for metadata, but it's worth a try:

https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/using/metadata-adobe-bridge.html

From what I've read, it appears that the XAVC metadata has been readable by Adobe software since CC 7.0. It may show up as a sidecar file - therefore, a file called exterior.mp4 might conceivably have a sidecar file called exterior.xmp. I haven't worked with that format, so I have no way to check.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Mauricio Arango
on Aug 3, 2016 at 12:01:04 am

Hi,
I'm in the same situation trying to figure the picture profile settings of footage coming from a sony a6300. I don't have Adobe Bridge, but I do have FCPX, DaVinci Resolve and MediaInfo.app... none of them give me any information on the file's metadata.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bernat Garrigos
on Sep 17, 2016 at 5:42:03 pm

I tried to inspect the xml files that go together with the MP4 files but they have very little info. Is that possible that we are not able to retrieve the info because Sony if just not saving this info with the movies?

Not even the camera Playback can display this information!! It seems is just not there.

Bernat

Return to posts index

David OShea
on Jan 13, 2017 at 12:05:35 am

It's there alright but not easy to see. The only way I have found to look at it by using Catalyst Browse. It's free from Sony so shouldn't be a problem to try it out. Your looking for "Acquisition Metadata" and can be found at the bottom of the file properties dialog on the right of the program.

Return to posts index

Mathew Farrell
on Feb 15, 2017 at 11:11:18 pm

You'd think video camera metadata would be easily accessible in the 21st century.

Thanks for the comment, David. I haven't looked at Catalyst yet - can it move or export that data in any way that's useable by typical logging or NLE software (eg, FCPX, Resolve or anything Adobe?)

Mathew Farrell
flowstate.com.au

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]