FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is a DSLR camera ideal if you are a beginner wedding videographer?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ozzy Baines
Is a DSLR camera ideal if you are a beginner wedding videographer?
on Jun 3, 2015 at 6:34:11 pm

Is a DSLR camera ideal if you are a beginner wedding videographer? I have been doing research. Would you recommend getting a camera that only shoots video, or a DSLR camera that shoots both photos and video?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Is a DSLR camera ideal if you are a beginner wedding videographer?
on Jun 3, 2015 at 9:14:23 pm
Last Edited By Blaise Douros on Jun 3, 2015 at 9:16:28 pm

It depends. If you are an experienced shooter, but have never shot a wedding, a DSLR might be okay. But you'll need additional gear to make sure you can get quality audio, as DSLRs do not record audio internally very well. However, it's a lot more to manage. If you think you can pull focus manually while monitoring external audio and do it all while following the action, by all means, shoot DSLR. If not, video cameras are MADE to cope with all of those issues.

If you're a beginner overall, then absolutely get a video camera. Auto focus, internal audio recording, and a host of other features make video cameras ideal for documentary and run-and-gun shooting. Don't be fooled by the people out there shooting cinematic wedding videos--most of them have multi-person crews and major equipment budgets. A one-or-two-person crew will likely not get great results as beginners, ESPECIALLY when dealing with the complexity required to shoot everything manually on a DSLR.

I am an experienced doc-style shooter, and I recently offered to shoot a wedding ceremony for a couple in my church whose extended family wouldn't be able to attend. I used two DSLRs and an external audio recorder. It turned out fine, but I still missed stuff, made mistakes, and generally, wouldn't recommend doing it that way, ever--not without a second shooter, and likely a third camera. Manual focus on large-sensor shallow depth of field images for moving subjects sucks.

Just remember, there are no second takes in wedding video. Do you want to miss the cake-cutting because you were screwing around with focus? Or have no audio for the toasts because you forgot to hit record on your external recorder? I don't think so.

TL;DR: get a video camera. In fact, get three, and get at least one other person to shoot with you.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jun 19, 2015 at 4:25:35 am

I would look into a Canon C100 with a C100 Canon lens. The 850 native ISO, and facial recognition focus will be a be help with weddings. Plus you have pro XLR interfaces for any PA or pro audio gear. DSLRs have tiny screens and you will miss shots that you think are in focus, and auto focus with DSLRs during video recording is noisy and sucks.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jun 19, 2015 at 11:54:02 pm

Aaron, there is no such thing as "a C100 Canon lens." Can you clarify?

A C100 will be marginally better than a DSLR for wedding, but frankly you will still have to focus manually to get fast results, and it won't be any easier on a Super-35 sensor than on APS-C crop sensor; the difference is academic. I don't think the OP has the skillz or experience to be able to effectively pull focus--if he had that kind of experience, he wouldn't be asking what he needs. What he needs is a video camera, plain and simple. The Canon XA or XF series are great for event work, as is the new Sony X70.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jun 21, 2015 at 2:06:11 am
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Jun 21, 2015 at 2:23:42 am

or

You need a modern Canon EOS lens and not some Canon Lens from 10-20 years ago. The videos above does a good job explaining the auto focus limitations. You can assign button to quickly toggle auto focus lock. I do not think the Mark 1 does facial recognition, like the Mark 2 does. There is a big difference between DSLR continuous auto focus and C Series auto focus.

The zero noise native ISO at 850 allows the user to push the ISO higher with acceptable grain, or stop down to a 4 in interior conditions.

Return to posts index

Tommy David
on Jul 4, 2015 at 10:06:08 pm

He said he's a beginner and you think the c100 is in his budget? I use both DSLR's and pro camcorders. DSLR's are much harder to shoot with. I am pretty good at it but I've been doing it a while. If you are going to be doing most stuff hand held then go for a camcorder 4k with full manual controls with built in ND filters. Look at the Sony AX100 for example. 1500 dollars now, went down 500 dollars. Nice Zeiss lens, backlit sensor that is bigger than most camcorders, performs well in low light, good image stabilization, has 4k in camera, full manual control. If you then get good at it and want to get a DSLR/Mirrorless like the Sony A7Rii or Sony A7S, you will be able to edit the footage side by side and make it look the same as you learn color grading. I do it myself, while people in forums say it can't be done. No one can tell the difference if you know how to edit and grade. I use the DSLR/Mirrorless only for shallow depth of field shots as they have full frame sensors. Other than that, I use the AX100. The Ax100 performs better than a lot of pro camcorders I've messed with, however it doesn't have custom picture profiles. That really isn't a problem if you use Adobe Speedgrade or a program similar. These things do take a while to learn. I've been doing it about 6 years. But with all the tutorials on YouTube within a year or two you'll be able to make about any camera useable as long as it has manual controls. If it doesn't have manual controls it will throw up the gain higher than it needs to be, because it doesn't understand that you can turn it up in post, it will change the shutter speed around to compensate when you don't it to, etc.

Return to posts index

arser endam
on Jul 14, 2015 at 1:43:00 am

The Sony EA 50 EH seems interesting by its interchangeable lens possibilities for especialy making films or working as Camjo. İts a semi- but ı hope to be experienced with it in making impressive scenes that I want.. After I've seen your comments I've researched and watched some videos. I must say I am impressed and I already have a match for the price around 2000 euros with 2 x accu NP-F970 and 18-200 powerZoomLens. I need that 2-XLR inputs, -hybrid recording- and saw nicely SDF transitions but know not much about lowLigth scenes capasities.. and there is some article wroten that The EA50 suffers from the 1:1 same moire and aliasing problems!? I go and also check The Sony Nex FS100 as info. in next days. I've seen one for 2500 euros. The Sony PXW-X70 and the AX100 is cool too but its pity that they've no lens options so far I saw on the web. Thanks for your any advice or comments.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]