FORUMS: list search recent posts

Not getting crisp details in DSLR footage

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cole Skory
Not getting crisp details in DSLR footage
on May 29, 2015 at 4:27:27 pm

I work with a Canon t5i and my footage appears to have a lot of noise in it... It's not so much of a problem when I shoot normally, but when I try to motion track, or camera solve the footage that it is an issue. I can never seem to get a solid track. I find that I can get really nice close ups, but whenever go go wider it gets worse.

Here's a link of some test footage I found.

To me it doesn't even look like the same camera. His wide shots look a lot more crisp to me.

Here's a video I threw together while playing with some settings.

You can definitely see the non crispy looking footage in this video.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Not getting crisp details in DSLR footage
on May 29, 2015 at 6:46:46 pm

Could be that he's using different lenses from you. There's no particular noise in your images. You are overexposing your shots slightly, and haven't color-corrected or post-sharpened them, so that's probably not helping. The comparison video was also shot in highly-contrasting light, while yours was shot on what appeared to be a cloudy day--naturally less contrasty.

Return to posts index

Cole Skory
on Jun 1, 2015 at 5:50:09 pm

Would you recommend Color Correcting, and adding some sharpness before I start tracking my footage?

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on May 30, 2015 at 3:03:19 pm

I agree with Blaise. This looks like 'normal' footage from that group of Canon cameras. I used to own a T2i. You probably need to work on sharpening and adding a bit of contrast to it in post. I'm not sure that 200ISO is one of the better ISOs for that camera, you might want to find out. The Canon ISOs often jump to get the better ones, ie. 320 might be good, 640 might be worse or better. There should be some tests out there to help you set up your camera to choose the right ones. Never choose auto ISO for these kind of tests.

Also, get yourself a color chart, go find a bring wall, and use gaffers tape to tape it to the wall. Use the color chart to run tests at various ISOs, lenses you may have and on different days, with clouds, without , in sun etc. You will quickly find out if you have a problem at a particular lens or ISO.

And finally, you may be using the wrong terminology. I don't see any noise in your shots, even when I blow it up to full screen on a retina Mac screen.

Al

Return to posts index

Cole Skory
on Jun 1, 2015 at 5:52:08 pm

Ah, ok gotcha.

I'll definitely try that out, thanks!

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on May 30, 2015 at 6:10:32 pm

Set the shutter speed to 1/50th closest to emulation 1/48 180 shutter. Shoot in ISO increments of 160, 320, 640 as they are native to Canon video.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]