FORUMS: list search recent posts

First camera recommendations? $2000 budget

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erin Smith
First camera recommendations? $2000 budget
on May 4, 2015 at 5:08:00 pm

I'm an editor looking to get into making my own shorts and want to buy a camera. I have a $2000 - $3000 budget for getting the body and initial lenses, and any initial audio equipment I'd need.

I've worked with a Canon EOS 60D for some shorts before but have been frustrated by the audio limitations. I will be filming doc shorts and would like to be able to get good audio while moving around in a space, so optimistically would want a camera that could make good use of an on-camera shotgun mic.

Suggestions? Any help is very much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: First camera recommendations? $2000 budget
on May 6, 2015 at 2:31:07 pm

Hi Erin - with the advent of the latest large sensor, interchangeable lens 10-bit camcorders, older 8-bit models such as the $2499 Sony NEX-FS100 (body only) and shoulder mounted $2299 NEX-EA50 (with the 18-200 power zoom lens) have dropped into your price range.

These cameras have built-in pro XLR jacks and production quality in-camera sound.

The FS100 especially will give you much better image quality than the 60D.

Here is what this camera can do in a documentary setting:

Portrait of a Boxer

MOULTON BICYCLE COMPANY - MADE IN ENGLAND

The biggest downside to this camera is its ergonomics. It is essentially a "cube" with a lens mount on the front of it. You will have to buy a shoulder mount or a cage to do handheld work with it.

If you want a camera that is built for handheld work, you might want to consider the EA50 instead. It can produce DSLR quality video similar to your 60D - with a built-in shoulder-mount and pro quality sound.

Here is what this camera can do when intercut with the 60D:

TELUS - "Spread the Love" for Valentine's Day 2013

Linnéa Benson plays "Abegg variations" by Robert Schumann on Steinway Gran...

I have shot with Sony NEX camcorders - they produce high quality video and are a very good value for your money.

Hope this is helpful and good luck in your transition from editing to production!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on May 8, 2015 at 4:53:55 am
Last Edited By Kannan Raghavan on May 8, 2015 at 4:55:57 am

Since Canon came out with C100 Mark 2, you can get really good deals on the C100 Mark . It is still a very good camera. You could start out renting lenses, and buy a few primes along the way.
p.s: I'm in the same boat too. An editor starting my own (small) productions. The yet-to-be-released BM Ursa mini looks like a great option.
Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on May 30, 2015 at 3:26:24 pm
Last Edited By Al Bergstein on May 30, 2015 at 3:34:35 pm

I'd certainly buy used, maybe off Ebay. I've always had good luck with eBay. I agree with the notion of a used C100. I own one and it's one of the best video camera's I've ever owned. It's small enough to be great on a doc. But I don't see them going for under $2000 yet on eBay. If you don't want to stick with DSLR then you can buy cameras like the XF100 on bay cheap. They are nice portable camcorders that allow a secure Mic to be mounted. I used to have one.

If you like your camera's shots, have a limited budget then why not focus on a better recorder? Why not buy a Tascam DR70 for a couple of hundred dollars, attach your camera to it, and a good shotgun mic to the camera's hot shoe? It wouldn't add much weight to it, and would get you better audio quality. You then could monitor off the Tascam. A good shotgun could cost you $400 or so. Check out the AudioTechnica AT875r. And don't minimize having to use a lavalier. A decent package from Sennheiser is about $600.

If you really want to be able to do a better job capturing sound on the fly, then you should probably invest in the audio gear rather than the camera. Not a lot wrong with the 60d from a picture quality POV. Lots of folks do good work on them.

Al

Return to posts index

Pauline Schram
on Jun 11, 2015 at 8:37:52 am

I'm an editor come director, even though not a big time but luck has favored me with few commercial advertisements and are looking forward other shorts in our list. Canon 70D is a good cam with auto video focus setting. One of the better ones in the specified range. A wide lens, prime and a normal lens will serve the purpose for the shorts, and renting will be much wiser. Rhode mic will also be a good add-on for capturing your audio. This was literally my gadgets for a demo ad done for the junk removal service in Toronto and they are quite satisfied with the project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]