FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting music video at 60fps to convert to 24fps?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ti Jak
Shooting music video at 60fps to convert to 24fps?
on May 4, 2015 at 2:21:47 am

So I plan on shooting a music video in 60fps to later convert(what I usually do) in Sony Vegas to 24fps since I don't know which parts I would want to go back and put in slow motion.
Since I am shooting at 60fps, I would want the shutter speed at 1/125..but wouldn't this affect the clips that I convert to 24fps? It usually looks more "stuttery"
Does anyone know any way to fix this issue?
I don't like filming in 24fps then only filming a few parts in 60fps because it won't give me many options of clips to put in slo motion.
Does anyone know if I should be changing my shutter speed or anything? Please help!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Shooting music video at 60fps to convert to 24fps?
on May 4, 2015 at 2:44:18 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on May 4, 2015 at 5:27:19 am

do you have two cameras? You could shoot them side by side which would make post a lot easier. But isn't that what pre-planning is all about?

The shutter speed for 60fps should be 1/2x so 1/120th is fine, then when you decimate, slow down, or whatever, to 24, it will maintain the same blurryness factor. Now if your final product is 24fps, all your non-slowed down 60fps will have to go through optical software such as timewarp, twixtor, compressor, magic bullet, terranex, etc. to not be stuttery.

Return to posts index

Peter Bigman
on May 15, 2015 at 9:05:24 pm

Isn't there a process called telecine?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 16, 2015 at 4:57:26 pm

sure, there's inverse telecine but that is 23.976 encapsulated in a reverse pulldown from 29.976. The actual framerate would still be still 23.976 in that case. I believe he's actually 60fps whole frames (not 29.97 interlaced frames at 59.94 fields/sec) since he said slowmo was needed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]