FORUMS: list search recent posts

Opinion on which camera should I go for next (mirriorless, DSLR, blackmagic, C100)?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Howard Ching
Opinion on which camera should I go for next (mirriorless, DSLR, blackmagic, C100)?
on Apr 30, 2015 at 9:16:58 am

Hi everyone,

I owned a Sony Z1 many years ago until DSLR for video came out. I've been using the Canon 7D ever since. I chose 7D back then because the 5Dmk2 awas a bit too old to invest on and the mk3 was far from being released. My usage on the camera is to shoot documentaries and weddings, basically gun and run style.

However the low light capability is starting to annoy me a lot in recent shoots since I'm doing a couple of projects that require me to shoot without and lights. I've been looking at options for a replacement in the market, there's mirrorless like the Sony A7r or the Lumix GH4; and there's DSLR 5Dmk3, and there's C100 / C100mk2; Blackmagic 4k cameras are also looking good, especially there's a new one (the URSA mini) coming out in July.

So what do you think will be the best option for my works and bank for the buck? Should I move to 4K now or wait for a better one int he future?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Opinion on which camera should I go for next (mirriorless, DSLR, blackmagic, C100)?
on Apr 30, 2015 at 6:44:00 pm

If low light performance is the only issue you are trying solve then I would take a look at the Sony A7s

Its low light performance is really something. There are tons of examples posted online.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Howard Ching
Re: Opinion on which camera should I go for next (mirriorless, DSLR, blackmagic, C100)?
on May 1, 2015 at 6:15:29 pm

Thanks

But will I be able to use all the canon lens i have now? I know there are plenty of adaptor that I can use.

Is there any overheat problem with this camera?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on May 1, 2015 at 7:21:16 pm

I suggest checking out the Metabones website at http://www.metabones.com which has both adapters and adapters + speedboosters that may work for you.

I don't know one way or the other in regards to overheating, I suggest you do some Google research to answer that.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on May 2, 2015 at 9:22:06 am
Last Edited By Bill Bruner on May 2, 2015 at 5:09:29 pm

If you have the budget for it and can wait for the URSA Mini - I would.

I started with a DSLR (T2i) and moved to mirrorless (GH2, then GH3 and GH4 plus a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera).

I love the 4K resolution from my GH4, but I am tired of 8 bit cameras with footage that falls apart in the grade. I am also tired of buying external recorders or adapters to compensate for their lack of basic audio features (such as XLR inputs). Plus, it's a little frustrating to have to buy a bunch of rigging to get these cameras up on my shoulder.

I am also a BMPCC shooter, so I have seen the advantages of shooting in 10-bit ProRes or RAW - but the ergonomics of the camera leave a lot to be desired - so, like you, I am looking to upgrade.

I rented the $3995 4K Super 35 JVC GY-LS300 a couple of weeks ago. It produces very sharp, ultra high definition "4K" video and ticks almost all of my boxes - except for its weak 8-bit codec and palmcorder ergonomics (so it needs an expensive rig, as shown here, to get it up on your shoulder).

I have the same challenge with the $2999 C100 - a relatively expensive 8-bit 1080p camera that needs a rig.

So my next video camera will be an easily shoulder mountable 10-bit Super 35 camcorder with built-in XLR inputs - which leads me straight to the URSA Mini EF.

The initial images from the 4.6K sensor are pretty amazing, as seen in the video embedded on this page, shot with the classic URSA.

If I can afford it, I'll get the $4995 4.6K version - if I can't, I'll get the $2995 4K version with the older sensor (which is pretty darned good, as seen in the URSA group I moderate over on Vimeo).

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your upgrade!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]