FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrade from Canon 7D

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ingemar Berglund
Upgrade from Canon 7D
on Apr 19, 2015 at 10:56:20 am

Hello!

I've been working on a project where I shoot video at 50 fps, mainly at dawn and dusk, for a while. I've now more or less decided that my 7D have too many downsides and would like to shoot the last third of the project with a better camera. I want better picture quality (1080 at 50/60 fps will give this?), better low light capability and want to get rid of the aliasing / moire.

So what camera would you suggest?

I would prefer to not change brands (to be able to use batteries, my EFS 18-55 f2.8 lens etc) so a Canon 7D Mark II is a good option in that sense. But how much is it improved from 7D in the areas that I need improvement? I've been reading some reviews etc but it's quite hard to get a good overview. I've heard a lot of good things about the Sony A7 and the Panasonic GH4, how do they compare to the 7D Mark II in the areas that matter for my project?

Thanks a lot

Ingemar

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: Upgrade from Canon 7D
on Apr 19, 2015 at 5:28:22 pm

5D Mark III?

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Apr 20, 2015 at 2:50:56 pm

Ingemar, I don't believe that the new 7D is going to give you better video quality. I once had the 7D like you and found the same issues to be a show stopper. I moved to the 5D (some of my lenses needed to be sold off). The 5D does produce noticeably better video, but the jump to a GH4 is going to be dramatically different. I don't want to say "better" because it is sharper images, more contrast, but less of what I call an "organic" look that the 5D and 7D produce. This might be better to your eyes, or not, depending on what you are looking for in footage. Personally, for video though, I moved to the Canon C100, which is the best of both worlds. It has better quality video images than either the 7D or the 5D, doesn't crush the blacks without you wanting it to, and all your lenses will work out of the box with it. It is a 'real' video camera and contains all the things you want (scopes, etc.) to get the job done well. It is also on sale right now if you are ok with buying the older model, which I have and is fine.

The question you need to ask is "do I have to shoot super high quality stills as part of my project?" if the answer is yes, stay with a DSLR, but if the answer is no, I would highly recommend moving to a camera that was designed for video rather than one designed for stills.

An interim step for budget purposes could be running Magic Lantern on a 7D or 5D. I have an SD card in my 5D case to boot off of for just that purpose, even though I find I rarely do. But it does work and is remarkably good for adding better features to the Canon line.

Al

Return to posts index

Ingemar Berglund
on Apr 22, 2015 at 6:34:52 am

Thank you so much for your input!

Ah that's too bad to hear, I was hoping to get away with the 7D Mark II. I talked to guy where I bought my 7D and he said they are worlds apart, that it would be so much better with noise levels etc..

Regarding the GH4, do you believe that the material would be too different to use together with the material filmed with my 7D?
Will try to look for comparison shots from 7D / GH4 to know the difference in style.

I would love to use the c100 for the rest of the project, it's just still too expensive in Sweden. I already went beyond budget and I'm not sure if I can use it for more projects.
Also it might be a little heavy since I have to bring the camera on longer hiking trips and the filming gear is already a bit too heavy.

What does running magic lantern add? Sorry if stupid question!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Apr 22, 2015 at 4:01:15 pm

MagicLantern adds the ability to shoot 14 Bit RAW cinemaDNG. It also adds intervalometer shooting and a host of other features to get the most out of the camera.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Ingemar Berglund
on Apr 23, 2015 at 9:00:01 am

I see, thanks.
Since I'm filming a looot of material and on longer hikes etc it will be very complicated to shoot RAW since it will produce gigantic files that I will have a hard time storing.

I'm leaning a bit against trying out the Sony A7 to see how it compares to my D7. One advantage to others is that it's so small which is extremely handy when bringing it on hikes. Another is the price. A third is that it's supposed to be good in low light.

Can you see any big downsides to this compared to D5 Mark III or D7 Mark II?

Very grateful for all the input!

Return to posts index

Mark Anderson
on Apr 24, 2015 at 7:15:41 pm

Hi Ingemar,

While the GH4 is a lovely camera, small and easy to get around, it's not the best in low light. You may want to look into a Canon MKII C100, which is a beast in low light and designed for video, all the while capturing the DSLR cinematic look. It also has pro audio inputs and headset jack.

Sony A7 is fabulous as well; amazing low light shooting abilities.

-Mark

Return to posts index

Ingemar Berglund
on Apr 26, 2015 at 10:27:28 am

Thanks a lot for your input Mark.

Right now it feels like it's either sony A7 / a7s or canon c100. Just wish I could try them both out in the conditions I usually shoot in.

Return to posts index

Mark Anderson
on Apr 26, 2015 at 2:43:42 pm

You're welcome, Ingemar! I believe I read that you do a fair amount of hiking to get to your shoots. Regarding the C100, as much as I love it, it is heavier as compared to the Sony.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Apr 26, 2015 at 2:50:43 pm

You might want to make sure that you can turn off the shutter noise if that is important (like taking pictures at concerts for example). On some of the new Sony's, you can't. A friend bought one, because her husband is a jazz musician, and she could not use it at concerts. Sometimes the small things matter. But yes, the Sony images are fabulous for the price. Maybe check out the Fuji as well. I've seen some great stills done with them, and they are very portable. I've been tempted to pick one up.

Al

Return to posts index

Ingemar Berglund
on Apr 28, 2015 at 5:30:02 am

Yup, the weight is a big issue with the c100, so hard to say if it's worth the weight,,

I've never had to care about the sound since I make film for music but who know for the future, good to know.

Which general picture style of A7s and C100 do you think would go best together with my 7D footage that I will have to use in the same project? Or will this be mission impossible?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]