FORUMS: list search recent posts

Picture profile settings

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ingemar Berglund
Picture profile settings
on Apr 14, 2015 at 8:36:26 am

Hey all!

I've been working for a couple of years on an art project that I started to film with the flat settings, as advised by Philip Bloom among others, on my 7D. I did this cause I thought it would leave me with the most freedom to decide where to go with the pictures in post and the best possibilities to get out the most of the material. This was especially attractive to me since I have almost no knowledge about picture styles, grading, etc but just wanted to shoot pictures and then maybe work on them with someone who know more.
But since I started investigating other problems with my shooting I've run into many discussions about settings and a lot of people say flat settings will be very complicated to work with and will create problems in post etc and that one should use settings close to what you want the final thing to look like.
The problem is partly that I don't know yet what I want it to look like in the end, aesthetic preferences change a bit with time, right? But mainly my problem is that since it's a long time project and I have a lot of material shot with flat settings I dot know if I can switch settings now sine I need to be able to use all material together.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Ingemar

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Picture profile settings
on Apr 15, 2015 at 5:31:06 pm

If you're really concerned about being able to fix the colors in post, hack the camera with Magic Lantern and shoot in RAW. You increase your file size, but retain a lot more color detail.

Return to posts index

Ingemar Berglund
on Apr 16, 2015 at 7:24:46 am

Thanks for your input.

Big file sizes is very bad for me since I shoot ridiculous amounts.

To be honest I just want settings that don't give the pictures I shoot too much of a style, settings that are anonymous / "normal" and don't limit the possibilities for post.

Anyone who has advice?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Apr 16, 2015 at 5:02:03 pm

In that case, just use the "Faithful" picture style. It will be pretty true to color, without adding too much in the way of over-sharpening or saturation. You just have to make sure to get a good white balance.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Apr 16, 2015 at 8:18:57 pm
Last Edited By Steve Crow on Apr 16, 2015 at 8:19:50 pm

My first thought would be to continue on with the flat picture style you are using for this one project specifically and THEN when you're ready to start a new project take another look and decide if you want to continue in that mode or to select another picture style.

This way everything for this project will remain with the same basic look making your job in editing a bit easier as you can develop custom "looks" in your editing program and apply those to whatever clips you want. If you are mixing up two different picture profiles, it will take a bit more work. With the experience of editing your film behind you, you will be in a much better position to decide what kind of picture profile you want to use moving forward.

By shooting flat you are not giving up anything and is maybe a good compromise between RAW and selecting a baked-in picture profile look from the many available to you.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Ingemar Berglund
on Apr 18, 2015 at 11:23:17 am

Hey Steve!

Great to get advice from you, I've seen your posts on other threads and you really seem to know what you're talking about.

Thanks a lot for trying to set yourself in my situation! What you say makes a lot of sense, I think it will be a mess in post if I start to experiment with new settings this far into the project. Just wanted to make sure that I'm not compromising anything too much by shooting flat since I started to read more and more negative comments about it.

Just to be able make a quick test what the pictures will become, as a total new beginner in post production, what would you do with sharpness, contrast and color etc in premiere? I mean just some rough, general adjustments. I don't think I'm gonna do post editing myself but I'd like to get what the pictures can become.

Would love to have your advice on other things as well if you have time.

Thank you, thank you!

Ingemar

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]