FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic Sound Kit for Eos 5D mK3

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marty Rich
Basic Sound Kit for Eos 5D mK3
on Apr 3, 2015 at 2:34:27 pm

HI

I just have the Canon Eos 5D MK111, and am looking to record sound and get an affordable shoulder mount within a budget.

Would a Zoom H4N, Shure directional mic (not sure which one) with boom pole

and a lapel mic set (again, suggestions), I have some headphones - would this cover me for basic shoots?

I need low cost shoulder mount suggestions as well if possible.

I am UK based.

I tend to buy slightly used from Ebay when I know of a model that I think is right for the job.

If forum members could suggest I would be very grateful

Here is a reply I got from another forum (Videomaker)
Is it the best?

:Hello Marts - instead of a Zoom H4n, I suggest a Tascam DR-70D . The Tascam will give you higher sound quality than the H4n due to its quieter preamplifiers. It is also more convenient, since it attaches beneath your camera and doesnt take up space on your hot shoe or your rig.

As far as microphones go, the best value for your money will be a £159 Rode NTG-2. You can power it via phantom from your recorder - or with an AA battery installed in the microphone (recommended).

To put the camera up on your shoulder, I recommend a £96 Catclaw offset shoulder mount and a £45.47 Kamerar LCD viewfinder.

You need an offset rig to put the LCD in front of your eye instead of off to the side.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Basic Sound Kit for Eos 5D mK3
on Apr 4, 2015 at 2:13:16 pm

Marty, I also don't like the H4. I owned one and it was quite harsh sounding, and broke too quickly for my tastes. I have owned a DR-60D the smaller version of the 70 and would agree that it might be a good option if you have to go shoulder mount on a 5D. A Zoom H5 would need to be mounted above and if you wanted to use it and be shoulder mounted. My H5 has a shotgun module as well that does ok. With a boom pole you would need to be dealing with an XLR cable as you wander around with the shoulder mount. Or perhaps I didn't understand your question. You could also buy an XLR wireless transmitter module, and have the boom mic transmit to the camera mount receiver. I've been pretty happy with the H5, it's a good sized for the features, and the interchangeable heads give it a lot of flexibility the field. It's still a bit harsher sounding than the DR-60d was. I'm not a big fan of the Zoom preamps.

To be sure, you can buy a used DR60 for much less if you need one cheap.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]