FORUMS: list search recent posts

Focus problem - background flicker

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Barrell
Focus problem - background flicker
on Mar 26, 2015 at 11:48:31 am

Hi All,
I am new to DSLR video. I recently bought a Olympus - OM-D E-M5 so that I could start a web series shooting "blog" type video directly infornt of the camera sitting down with the camera in my room a matter of "feet" away. So relatively close up.

One thing that I seem to be struggling with is focus I have an Olympus wide angle lens 14-42mm - when using the various auto focus function / continueuios tracking AF with manual ect when I walk back around to the front of the camera I seem to get a bit of focus flicker going on in the back ground which is really annoying.

Any suggestions for how to setup / calibrate focus I this type of close up bedroom environment would be grealy appreciated!

Again I am a newbie so lay terms much appreciated :)

Cheers
Tim

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Focus problem - background flicker
on Mar 26, 2015 at 10:58:47 pm

I am not sure if I am completely understanding the problem but if you were using some kind of automatic focus tracking (face tracking for instance) and then stepped out of the scene to go behind the camera, then the camera's software would probably get very confused on what it should focus on next.

Perhaps try setting a manual focus point with a relatively closed off aperture so that no matter where you move in your chair, forward or backwards or sidewise you will remain in focus. Something like a F8 should definitely do it but you may be able to stop down a stop too - you will have to check your focus distance given the focal length and aperture.

A higher aperture means more light will be required or you will have to raise your ISO to compensate.

If you want a shallow depth of field then you can still pre set a manual focus point but of course you will have to remain much more still in your chair while recording and be more precise in setting your focus point. I hope this all makes some sense to you and is helpful.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]