FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exposure question

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Gaskin
Exposure question
on Mar 17, 2015 at 9:38:16 am

Hi,

Wondering if someone can give me any advice on exposure issue I have.

I recently shot some footage that seemed to look fine on my monitor when recording but when viewed on my computer is way too dark. I am new to dslr filming so I understand my rookie error here but wondering what is the best way of fixing this issue. I've tried the obvious thing first by boosting the levels in after effects but there is ugly noise.

Can anyone suggest anything that could improve the shot by getting back some detail and limiting the noise issue?

Is there any software out there that can help with this

Thanks in advance

Scott

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Exposure question
on Mar 17, 2015 at 5:07:06 pm
Last Edited By Steve Crow on Mar 17, 2015 at 5:09:08 pm

In my Final Cut Pro 6 days there was a free plugin called Shadow Highlight which could lift some detail out of the shadows - don't know if it is still around or available for your NLE. Check out Lyric.com

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Scott Gaskin
on Mar 17, 2015 at 6:52:28 pm

Thanks Steve, I'll have a look
Scott

Return to posts index

Dave Morrison
on Mar 24, 2015 at 2:31:59 pm

I apologize if this is a stupid suggestion, but have you calibrated your computer monitor(s)? Maybe your original footage is fine, but your editing monitor is too dark?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Mar 24, 2015 at 9:59:29 pm

I second Dave's question. The other way to tell is by looking at the scopes in Premiere--that will tell you how much you need to bring it up.

Try using some of Premiere's native color correction tools, like the Fast Color Correcter, along with the video scopes. You may surprise yourself at how well you can balance the image.

Return to posts index

Scott Gaskin
on Mar 25, 2015 at 4:52:50 pm

Thanks Blaise, I'll have a look. I have since discovered red Giants 'de-noise' software that might be worth looking at
Cheers
Scott

Return to posts index

Scott Gaskin
on Mar 25, 2015 at 4:59:23 pm

Hi Dave,
Tried on two computers and looks the same. I just dropped the ball with this I think. Its not a problem recovering the image with a simple levels adjustment but there is quite a lot of noise. I've since come across Red Giants 'de-noise' software i think I will trial and hope solve the issue.
Rgds
Scott

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]