FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video codec advice Please!!

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Gaskin
Video codec advice Please!!
on Feb 7, 2015 at 12:59:29 am

Hi there,

I am new to DSLR video and will be shooting a music video in the next 2 weeks (personal Project) and I'm trying to understand the best way of preparing the video once shot for post production.

I have been doing some test shots with my Canon 7D and notice some nasty artefacts (blocky pixelation) I think this is known as macro blocking.

What is the best way of avoiding this? Is this caused from footage straight out of the camera or when it has been exported? I think its the latter when I exported it from After Effects.

Also I have heard of a codec called pro-res that helps with these issues? Do I need to change my footage to a different codec like pro-res before I start my editing and post production? I'm a little confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Scott

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Video codec advice Please!!
on Feb 7, 2015 at 6:49:17 am

[Scott Gaskin] "Do I need to change my footage to a different codec like pro-res before I start my editing and post production?"

No

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Feb 7, 2015 at 10:28:38 am

[Scott Gaskin] "Is this caused from footage straight out of the camera or when it has been exported? I think its the latter when I exported it from After Effects."

When you play the footage on your computer, do you already see these artifacts. Blocking artifacts is something I actually never had with any kind of DSLR video (no matter which camera - T2i, T5i, 7D, 5DMkII). So it's most definitly a problem with exporting. To which format do you export to from After Effects and which kind of compression do you use?

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Return to posts index

Scott Gaskin
on Feb 7, 2015 at 11:15:04 am

Hi Peter,
Just checked again and seems ok straight from the camera. I was originally looking for 'judder' issues when trying my 7d on a slider as I'm finding out about all these potential issues when filming with dslrs.

I brought my footage into after effects and exported choosing h264 and noticed this horrible blocky artefacts.

I read an article where it seemed to explain that the apple prores codec was good to use for editing purposes as it keeps the quality but not so good as an exporting codec? Something about transcoding the original footage first to a more 'friendly editing' codec before exporting.

Am I making sense here? I really have no clue about what the best codecs are to use when exporting. I am shooting a music video (personal project) in 2 weeks time and have spent a lot of money on equipment so want to get it right.

I'm just wanting to know what the best way to approach it so I have the best possible quality video output as an end product.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Scott

Return to posts index

Pete Burger
on Feb 7, 2015 at 12:06:38 pm

Exporting from After Effects into H.264 is not the best idea. I have to say though, that I still work with AE CS5, so there might have been some improvements on that in the meantime. The way I work is to export from AE as Quicktime and then compress with appropriate software. Since I work on Windows, I use the Adobe Media Encoder. If you're on a Mac and have Compressor: perfect.
As for the quicktime compression. You can use ProRes. Even ProRes LT. Alternatively use the Animation Codec (lossless at 100%), PNG (also lossless at 100%) or even JPEG (at 100% "visually" lossless).
In the very beginning of DSLR video, an intermediate codec (like ProRes) was needed to assure a smooth workflow. I don't think, that you really have to use it now. I work natively with the MOV's from my DSLRs for years now. No problems.
Hope this helps a bit!

Return to posts index

Scott Gaskin
on Feb 8, 2015 at 2:31:32 pm

Thanks again for your help Peter. Appreciated!

Scott

Return to posts index

Pete Burger
on Feb 10, 2015 at 11:20:23 am

You are most welcome, Scott!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]