FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why are peopel using DSLR for Video?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Milton Hockman
Why are peopel using DSLR for Video?
on Apr 16, 2010 at 3:42:49 pm

just got back from NAB and saw DSLR everywhere.

what are the advantages of it? We have an XDCAM and EX3. Why would I want to buy a DSLR and use it for video?

Freelancer Designer Virginia - StephenHockman.com
Find out more about me, see my portfolio, and read my blog

Graphic Design Info, Web Page Tips, Video Production Guide BLOG
My blog updated weekly with industry tips, tricks, and news

Return to posts index

Aaron Stewart
Re: Why are peopel using DSLR for Video?
on Apr 16, 2010 at 4:30:47 pm

Low light, and an easy ability to have extremely shallow depth of field are a couple of bigger advantages of DSLR video, mainly due to the larger sensor size and the glass you can put with it (which is relatively cheap to get nice lenses for DSLRs, but a bit more expensive in the video world.) They are smaller form cameras, so some people like having the small footprint when shooting. But there are LOTS of disadvantages (audio recording, record time limitation, aliasing, zooming, etc) to them as well, so there is a bit of give and take with DSLRs.

Aaron R. Stewart
arstewart@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Apr 16, 2010 at 4:49:30 pm

Don't under estimate trend, lower $ point of entry for DSLR when comparing quality with traditional cameras. Hundreds of inter changeable lenses that are somewhat affordable. Hollywood hype, the studios are jumping all over the Canon 5D2.

I also believe we are at the starting point of convergence, where up to prosumer camcorders and DSLR's will become one of the same. The physical form of the machine will change, but I beleive the two systems will become one as a product catagory.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Aaron Stewart
on Apr 16, 2010 at 5:00:48 pm

Photogs and videographers have different needs. I don't see the same product for both services, I can't predict the future, but I have a hard time believing that a pro-photographer is going to be wanting to buy a camera that has XLR inputs on it. Most likely this will just be a refresher for the video market so it gets larger sensor sizes, better low light performance, and higher resolutions (or something similar to what Arri is doing, a large sensor that records really really good 1080p). Prosumer camcorders and DSLRs may converge, but that will be for video-people only, and produce video-centered products only....we aren't going to drag pro photogs into our camp and have them buying our cameras. They'll still have a separate product that serves their needs.

Aaron R. Stewart
arstewart@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Apr 16, 2010 at 8:12:10 pm

The last obstacle to convergence was tape and 3 ccd sensors, both have been overcome, people have accepted digital recording and the limitations of CMOS sensors.

I know of a stock photographer that has teamed up with a production company for stock video with a Red 1 and he is lifting single frames for stock photos.

XLR's along with other accessories could be modular accessories, that you either buy or not.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Aaron Stewart
on Apr 16, 2010 at 8:54:04 pm

Perhaps, but I think where Pro Photogs are going to start moving is more in the direction of something with a lot more still image quality than a Red or similar camera can offer right now, such as a Hasselblad or similar. A lot of commercial photography is still done with medium format cameras, not necessarily Canon's higher end DSLRs. Not saying they aren't used at all (because they are) but medium format offers much higher quality than these cameras can attain. Your stock photographer lifting frames from a Red One is still going to be beaten soundly by someone using a full frame or bigger sensor (so long as they know how to take a picture!)

It'll be interesting to see what type of impact Red makes between this year and next with their DSMC cameras. Modular designs are certainly a way to go for the convergence of these two areas, as you said, but not all companies think like Red does.

Aaron R. Stewart
arstewart@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Apr 17, 2010 at 7:13:30 pm

I predict in the future that we will see items with same form factor as battery grips that allow for advanced audio recording

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Aaron Stewart
on Apr 17, 2010 at 11:48:04 pm

But whatever would we do with our beautiful battery grips?! Extra tall cameras! :)

I could go with that.

Aaron R. Stewart
arstewart@gmail.com

Return to posts index

James Leaburn
on Apr 19, 2010 at 4:23:26 pm

I can see there being a modular system where the sensor and lens attachment are a block that can be plugged into the body of your choosing. One body can be set out for video another body for DSLR then you could have modules for just about anything. It's all happening with support rigs and other stuff so why not the camera too. I so want that to happen.

If in doubt scream and shout.

Return to posts index

william primrose
on Apr 19, 2010 at 5:05:15 pm

All I hear from people is how cheap they are... so they think. It seems where I am in the Toronto area is they are being hailed as the replacement of video cameras.. Even sales people will push them over a Sony EX-3.. I have watched this at a video store.

Somehow they think price is everything. They seem so fixated on this....

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Why are people using DSLR for Video?
on Apr 20, 2010 at 7:03:24 pm

[Milton Hockman] "Why would I want to buy a DSLR and use it for video? "

Beats the heck out of me why you'd want to.

But then, every young girl in the USA twenty years ago lusted for a Cabbage Patch Kid, too. Perhaps the same thing is going on here, sort of like the popularity of the South Beach Diet not so long ago. Ugly things, those Cabbage Patch Kids....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nate Hanson
Re: Why are people using DSLR for Video?
on May 4, 2010 at 12:57:25 am

Why would I want to buy a DSLR and use it for video? I just ordered a Canon T2i...here are my reasons:

1) Price - I don't have a big budget. I was planning on saving up for an XH-A1s ($3400 at B&H). Instead I got the T2i, an f/2.8 lens and an H4N for audio all for under $2000. All I have at the moment is a MiniDV GL2. This is a huge upgrade for me.

2) Image quality - I've seen some beautiful footage shot with just the kit lens. Again, compared to my GL2...huge upgrade. Even the XH-A1s I was hoping for can't produce images this rich.

3) Lenses - lots of different looks are possible. I've got lots of friends with DSLR cameras and I'm sure I can borrow lenses for projects.

4) Project goals - I'm planning on shooting some short video segments (2-minutes each) with interviews and B-roll, so the ability to roll for hours on end is not a factor for me.

5) Cabbage Patch Factor. Just kidding, Dave.

Nate Hanson
Pilothouse Films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]