FORUMS: list search recent posts

D600, Does it output 422?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Patrick
D600, Does it output 422?
on Jan 12, 2015 at 4:34:31 pm

Does a D600 really output 422?

I'm looking into HDMI recorders, because they can capture 422 color sampling.

But it seems to me that in order to really benefit from 422, the camera (sensor?) has to be capturing in the 422 color space. From my very limited understanding of color sampling, you can't create something if it's not there. (if that makes sense)

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: D600, Does it output 422?
on Jan 12, 2015 at 7:45:20 pm

Kevin,

I don't have a source to quote but personally I'd feel very comfortable that the Nikon does indeed output 4:2:2 as that is the lower quality version of a full 4:4:4 signal.

and, yes, if the camera is only providing a 4:2:2 source then the recorder can't really create a 4:4:4 output BUT what it can do is fake it and output something labeled as 4:4:4 but where some of the data is left blank which apparently some of these recorders are doing.

There was a discussion on this forum a few months back of this very issue, as I recall having to do with the Atmos monitors and recorders....if you do a little searching I am sure you can find it.

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Jan 12, 2015 at 10:24:23 pm

[Steve Crow] "There was a discussion on this forum a few months back"

I believe I came across that discussion. It was about whether or not an Atmos product was worth while. (something like that)

That's basically the root of my question. A recorder may be cable of recording up to a 444 color sampling, or 10 bit color. The question I have, is whether or not (in my case, a D600) outputs in a format that would benefit from the recorders capability.

It's not something Nikon seems to spec, so I was just wondering if anyone here knew the answer.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jan 12, 2015 at 10:29:57 pm

I tried finding that thread myself but couldn't so I'm glad you ran across it....I'm wondering if you post your question on a forum dedicated to Nikons if someone with that camera could probably check it out for you and give you a definite answer....my off the top recollection is that 4:2:2 is almost the lowest setting a camera these days could have which is why I think you are very safe, I believe at one time there were 4:1:1 cameras on the market but that was many years ago

all the best to you Kevin

Steve Crow

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Jan 13, 2015 at 4:12:41 am
Last Edited By Rob Manning on Jan 13, 2015 at 4:16:45 am

Hi Kevin,

The D600 does record at 4.2.2 like the D800 etc.

Sub sampling is part of the design and also like Steve, I'm unable to locate the threads, but memory tells me it is at 8 bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling

I've been working with a DP on two different documentary projects and he doesn't care about direct SSD capture BTW, he simply "up-rezes" in post so to each his own.

Thanks,

Rob Manning

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Jan 13, 2015 at 6:27:18 am

A lot of DSLRs and mirrorless cameras output 4:2:0 through HDMI. I usually use GH4s as it outputs 10 bit 4:2:2 to the external recorders. If I'm not mistaken. the D600 outputs 8 bit 4:2:2.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Sal Pietromonaco
on Jul 18, 2015 at 2:04:22 pm

Actually in Darrell Young's supplement (Streaming Uncompressed HDMI Video from Your Nikon D600) to his book Mastering the Nikon D600, he claims that it outputs 10 bit 4:2:2 through the HDMI port.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]